Thread: Boing!?!?

Question Boing!?!?

I am getting a "boing" noise from the right rear of the under carriage. It tends to be more pronounced when coming to a stop or starting but does show up over rough roads or bumps. Sounds like a spring catching on something and then breaking free making the "boing" noise.

I have gotten underneath the car, checked the exhaust, looked for loose or worn busings, spring is solid and not rusted anywhere, and I can't seem to locate it...

Any ideas..

2000xc 140kmiles

God..it could be one of 10 different things.
    Try to be more specific in the noise

Default Weird

I jacked the car up wiggled the exhaust and looked around again. Lowered the car and noise is gone! Really weird. While trying to figure out the problem I had my wife drive the car and I rode in the back. Whenever I heard the noise I could feel it transfer through the body in the rear.

Car has been driven for the past 2 weeks on unpaved vermont roads which are pretty rough...maybe something just got tweaked slighly out of place from hitting a rut and when I fully unloaded the suspension whatever caused the problem popped back into place. Really sounded like a spring rocking in the perch or something but it is gone now! lets see if it comes back....

Default Boing from rear of car

Quote Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
    I am getting a "boing" noise from the right rear of the under carriage. It tends to be more pronounced when coming to a stop or starting but does show up over rough roads or bumps. Sounds like a spring catching on something and then breaking free making the "boing" noise.

I have gotten underneath the car, checked the exhaust, looked for loose or worn busings, spring is solid and not rusted anywhere, and I can't seem to locate it...

Any ideas..

2000xc 140kmiles
    Did you every figure out what was going "Boing" in the rear of your Volvo. I have a 2000 XC and mine is doing the same thing. Sounds like a spring noise but??????????
    Thanks.
    Greybeard
    2000 V70 XC-SE
    2002 Camaro Z28
    2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500

"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."

You probably picked up a rock in the rear spring seat that fell out when you lifted the car.

i wonder if its the bump stop.
    it has a tendency to break loose and bounce around in the coil spring.
    Hailing from the Majestic Rocky Mountain High
    RIP 04-08-09

Extras: Bilstein Hd's, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, K&N Air Filter
    IPD HD TCV, Stylin Motors Silicone Hoses, Silverstars, 8000k HID Fogs
    It is illegal to get this high in other states.

Need OEM Volvo Parts?
    Call Daryl Waltrip Volvo
    (800) 689-0021
    Ask for Jamie or Don

I jacked up the car as suggested and crawled under to look for rocks, bumpers, F-15 Fighter Jets, but just some grit, which I wiped off. I know on my Camaro, the rear springs really squeak if I don't wash the grit out regularly. We'll see if unloading the spring helped in anyway. Thanks for the feedback.
    Greybeard
    2000 V70 XC-SE
    2002 Camaro Z28
    2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
    2009 Dodge Ram 1500

"The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."

Mine just started doing the same thing. Weird. I wonder if I should put a little grease on th spring pocket, or if that will make it worse.

Ours has been going "boing" for years.

I heard from the dealership that I bought it from that the original owner complained about it and had the springs replaced under warrenty.

While disconcerting, it doesn't appear to cause any problems. I've also looked to see what could be causing it, but I've never seen anything.

I don't think that it's anything to worry about.

Bill