Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Installing trailer/tow wiring

I noticed that inside the trunk next to the battery is a connector for a trailer hitch wiring. I purchased a wiring kit already from IPDUSA which just expects you to crimp into the existing wires - but I was wondering is it possible to just attach it to this plug? (Does my MY04 really care?)

If I do this, will I need any additional relays or is it just simpler to attach it to my tail-light wiring?
    Last edited by Forkster; 06-06-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Perhaps the schamatic drawing may help, see attachment.
    The red text to the left of the bracket (54/51) was added by me as comment.
    Hope it helps,
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Talking

Hi Willy,

Unfortunately, I don't have an engineering degree and that diagram makes no sense to me.

I'm not using an OEM wiring kit and the existing wires are impossible to figure out. (Not to mention that the IPDUSA kit is missing parts @#**#!).

So, what colour wires are what? Will it cause it to throw check-bulb codes? Any help would be appreciated.

The layout of connector 54/51 is as follows:

[2]-red = 12V "continues" (red lines indicate 12V direct = always present)
    [1]-blue = 12V "switched" (via relais - contact broken while starting)
    [10]-green = Turn left
    [9]-green/white = Turn right
    [11]-white = Tail lights
    [8]-grey = 12V
    [4]-yellow = Brake lights
    [12]-black = Reverse light
    [5]-purple = Fog light
    [7] = Ground

The red text to the left of the connector is the layout of connector on the towing kit (of my car)

No check-bulb codes are thrown.
    You do get extra turn indicators: the system notices the extra current drawn by the turn indicator lights
    on the towed object and will light small green arrows on the dashboard when the turn lights are activated.
    This is a visual indication that the lights are effectively operative.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Thanks Willy for the excellent description...The 54/51 connector - Is it the one that is for the OEM trailer connector?

Yes, it is!
    Forgot to answer: you won't need any extras such as relays, just connect.
    I don't know how the IPD's kit connections look like, but in order connect safely to the connector in the car
    you would need a decent mating part or parts, otherwise it is probably better to use the IPD material,
    I suppose it will allow safe connections.
    Willy

This is great, thank you so much Willy.
    Funny, my IPd kit was missing parts too.
    I have written them a note about this (bad instructions and missing parts) will see if anything comes of it.
    Thanks again.
    Forbes
    '01 V70 XC

Default Thanks

Thank You Willy !!! --- the Factory plug was sitting there looking back at me and you saved me an hour figuring out the colours !!!!! Turned it into a 15 minute job to add my trailer harness !!!! thanks thanks thanks !!! / Steve

I installed a towing kit on my volvo a few weeks ago and tried to cheat using the volvo plugs to tag into but it just made my light board throw a wobbly. I had the indicator on without the key even in the car, took indicator off and then it gave an earth problem so took side light out and all works fine somehow! Different kit than you guys across the pond though and yes, mine came with extra relays.

I just put a Curt hitch on my '01 and it fit like a glove. Now I'm deciding on how to wire the trailer. I found the rectangular plug in the spare tire well and tested the wires, I guess this is the factory trailer connection? Does Volvo offer a harness that plugs into this that uses a 4 pin flat plug? I'm only towing a light utility trailer. Any idea of the cost? My other idea is to go with a powered converter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast