Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lower transmission torque mount bushing picture

Decide to check this torque mount after reading about it here. Both my V70 T5 (110k miles) and XC70's (69k miles) mount looks like this

Looking at how much rubber there is that actually takes the load, it doesn't look like it could handle very much.

I read the QBM poly mount has lot of vibration. Has anyone tried to replace just the rear destroyed bushing with poly and leave Volvo's rubber bushing (looks like in good shape on both of mine) in the front? Wonder if that will yield less vibration.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Using the hint at your site, I fairly easily rebuilt the bushing with cheap parts. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up. Thanks for the tips.

I had a poly unit on my car for about a week. It buzzed like crazy. I put on another OEM, and figure that's going to be a maintenance replacement item like tires.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

If it will last as long as tires, that would be a GOOD thing !

Usually god for 75-125K miles under normal use

Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    I had a poly unit on my car for about a week. It buzzed like crazy. I put on another OEM, and figure that's going to be a maintenance replacement item like tires.
    Guys:

I've been telling you that the answer to this is to use a stock mount but replace the small bush with a poly Powerflex bush. It doesn't buzz but its tight and you don't have to replace the damn thing every year like I was (thanks to the crap roads I get to drive on). I've had my set-up for going on two years now and its just as tight as the day I installed it and there is no buzz.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I've been telling you that the answer to this is to use a stock mount but replace the small bush with a poly Powerflex bush. It doesn't buzz but its tight and you don't have to replace the damn thing every year like I was (thanks to the crap roads I get to drive on). I've had my set-up for going on two years now and its just as tight as the day I installed it and there is no buzz.
    Bill,

How much powerflex do you have in your XC70 now?

I am very interested in this idea, due to stock ones premature wear & the handing benefits. I am concerned about ride quality, relating particularly to vibrations with a slushbox. I do not want to compromise my swede's supiriour noise and ride charateristics.

Please let me know how far you've gone with these... TIA

Lex
    Last edited by lexefx; 07-05-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Better Questions

Quote Originally Posted by lexefx View Post
    Any vendor you sugest for the Powerflex?
    Are you replacing both bushing on the tranny mount?
    Any part #'s to refernce?
    Sorry - being lazy...

http://store.powerflexusa.com/volvo-...ngs-p1122.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by lexefx View Post
    Bill,

How much powerflex do you have in your XC70 now?

I am very interested in this idea, due to stock ones premature wear & the handing benefits. I am concerned about ride quality, relating particularly to vibrations with a slushbox. I do not want to compromise my swede's supiriour noise and ride charateristics.

Please let me know how far you've gone with these... TIA

Lex
    First off let me say that I'm stock across the board on bushings, joints, etc. EXCEPT for having both ends of the upper engine mount bar solid via the washer mod similar in effect to the QBM mounts and the small end bush in the lower tranny mount (# 11 in the Powerflex S60 AWD diagram - http://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-d...+Bush/519.html). I got my Powerflex from a UK outfit (that I think is no longer around and which I cannot recall their name now) for about $25 total shipping in. I would suggest checking out the distributors listed in Powerflex's website and especially checking out the UK ones. They generally have better prices and for a small bit like this bush, the shipping is hardly anything.

Now as far as the effects of these mods. The poly bush did very little to add to any buzzing, etc but it did make the shifts feel tighter and it seemed that it made the front end feel tighter as well (but that may just be a head thing). I do have a wee bit of harshness coming from the front when it's really cold (-10C or so) and when the car is idling. But this was there after I went solid on the upper engine mount bar so I don't think the poly, done moderately like this, is going to cause you any problems. As I've said in my other posts on the subject, the real benefit for me on going poly was to eliminate the need to replace that small bush so often. The new design has very little webbing, unlike the older design lower mount small bush on my 850R, and if you travel rough roads often, like I do, it breaks that webbing pretty quickly. Overall, it was one of the better mods for the money I've ever done.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Hi there!

Yes these little bushes are a pain for wear and tear.
    Never understond why they (Volvo) changed it for this system.
    If poly is not widely available try the bush or torque mount from a Volvo 850.
    Easy to get and after market.
    These model Volvo's had a solid rubber fitted!!
    We use these all the time in the shop.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast