Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Imported post

I've just read from another Volvo R owner that the ability for us to have VADIS modify/update the door locking software to enable doors to automatically lock after or at some predetermined forward speed such as say 5 mph could be available in about two weeks.

Can anyone else add to this breaking news?
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Default Imported post

Is there any reason for having this feature added other than if you live in an area where carjacking is rampant?  

Does the auto lock disengage once the car is parked or must one use the central locking button to do this?

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Art @ July 25 2003,22:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there any reason for having this feature added other than if you live in an area where carjacking is rampant?

Does the auto lock disengage once the car is parked or must one use the central locking button to do this? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Volvo has by default made the fuel filler door auto lock at around 5 mph presumably for security reason. I&#39;m sure some people feel the same way about having the doors locks operate for same reason. Rear doors still have child locks don&#39;t they so this would obviate the need for auto locking wrt to child safety in rear seats. Many people feel safer with doors locked -- I think this is where the request to Volvo to do this is coming from, and I&#39;m sure carjacking is one reason for this.

I would expect the door locks to remain locked after car stops.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

There is a disadvantage to automatic locking: should an accident occur on the highway or a freeway, it can be critically important for emergency personnel (or good samaritans stopping) to get into the car quickly - to remove unconscious or injured passengers or the driver). Locked doors, in accidents at highway speeds, can make breaking windows necessary - and that isn&#39;t always as easy at it may sound.
    &nbsp; &nbsp; Auto locking can be worthwhile, but it&#39;s also easy to simply reach over and press the lock all doors button in any situation where carjacking is a reasonable fear.
    Kevin

Default Imported post

Quite right, the same may even apply to the laminated side windows, especially if a non-professional has to help you out&#33;
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Default Imported post

Just about every GM product of late has door locks that lock at a given speed and unlock when car is put into park. &nbsp;

Lots of fun when your passengers try to get out, but the car is not in park. &nbsp;Happens all the time, people trying to get out, but the doors are locked. &nbsp;I think they auto unlock if airbags are deployed as well.

Default Imported post

I never lock the doors once the vehicle is moving for the reasons noted above. &nbsp;Doors unlocking if the airbags go off or if the car is in park aren&#39;t enough, imo as there are a large number of crashes in which the airbags don&#39;t deploy. &nbsp;EMT&#39;s don&#39;t carry complicated hydraulic extrication gear in most cases, so unless you want them to wait for the fire dept to show up to pry open the doors, you may be better off leaving them unlocked. &nbsp;Many times, EMTs or Paramedics will beat the fire dept to the scene.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Imported post

I know I&#39;m being a bit silly here -- but I can see it now -- whenever car involved in &#39;serious&#39; accident several explosive bolts or whatever are activated to blow out a window or even a door.

I assume that todays cars are subject to having central locking system activated when car involved in an accident such that if if doors were unlocked prior to accident they end up being locked during/after accident. Then of course this is all moot if doors and/or car structure severely damaged and doors can&#39;t be opened even with door unlocked.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Default Imported post

Most aftermarket alarms these days automatically lock/unlock your doors when you put your car from Park to Drive assuming that you wired the thing to your door locks. &nbsp;I just find it ironic that Volvo does not provide this feature considering how much I paid for the car.
    2003 XC70 - White Ext.+Taupe Int.+Premium Pkg+Touring Pkg+Mud Flaps+Rubber Mats+Rear Skid Plate+Trailer Hitch+Headlight Protection

Default Imported post

From all the comments--one could assume that at least there is a market to make this an option choice that many would be willing to add and it would not take Volvo any time or money to do it since they do offer this in some areas of the world.
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast