Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I'm starting to get intrigued

Anyone else interested in the XC60?

As much as I love the new XC70 and have always appreciated the XC90, I'm really starting to become interested in the latest addition to the XC family... Anyone else?
    01 V70XC/Silver/Graphite/Touring & Versatility Packs/No Mods
    Servoweb Technologies developers of web stuff...
    Paddle Surf Canada
    CanSkier.com Skier Community

I am interested, but if the only engine offered is the T6, I think there will be marketing problems for those of us also interested in fuel efficiency...

Bill
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    I am interested, but if the only engine offered is the T6, I think there will be marketing problems for those of us also interested in fuel efficiency...

Bill
    +1 How about a diesel?!?!?! I want MPG, less power!

From the information I got from a Dutch web site, the T6 is confirmed, as well as the D5 diesel (at least for European markets)

But I don't see yet what the XC60 offers that the XC70 doesn't. As far as I can see, the XC70 offers more space, is more versatile, has better "offroad" capabilities (Volvo itself says that the XC60 is less offroad oriented!), and has more status overall (if you care about that).
    The XC60 seems to be more of a fashion/lifestyle thing. Everybody is fighting for the premium cute-ute market since BMW started early with the X3.

In a sense, I like the fact that the XC70 is the only Volvo XC that has its roots in the true Volvo tradition of no-nonsense, versatile wagons. Its roots date from the pre-SUV-hype era, and it probably will survive it.

I think what the XC60 will offer over the XC70 is simply size (and weight). I like the 2008 XC70 very much but its just got that little bit too large and now quite heavy. With the new XC70, haven test driven both the 3.2 and the D5, there no argument the D5 is the pick of the two - but the simple truth is that at 1.9 tonnes (250 kg heavier than my '06 XC70), it struggles in my opinion.

I think a smaller and lighter XC60 with the D5 would be that much better in both performance and fuel economy.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by brissim View Post
    I think a smaller and lighter XC60 with the D5 would be that much better in both performance and fuel economy.
    Tony
    That would indeed be something. If a D5 XC60 would be significantly more fuel-efficient than a D5 XC70, and if Volvo offers it with their new Powershift transmission (Ford's incarnation of DSG), I would become very interested.

But somehow, I doubt it. Most compact SUV's from other brands don't shine in fuel efficiency, and I don't think Volvo will do any better.