Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Angry XC 90 Sunroof Drain - recurring problem

I am just finding out that this is a recurring problem and that it will continue to happen over time. Seems like a design flaw to me. Sunroof drains should not be able to "clog up and leak into the passenger compartment" - especially on a quality vehicle like a VOLVO!!!

I have had major water in the passenger side compartment 2x - thankfully my dealer took care of it both times even though I am now out of warranty. By major water I mean enough that it was actually visible and sloshing around on top of the floor mat. A couple other times I have had a wet floor -under the mat on that side.

I encourage all XC90 owners to pull up your floor mats and check the carpet under - you may be having this problem and not even know it.

My concern is the damage that is being done with water in the car. I have read online in various forums that other people having problems with sensors rusting, mold issues, etc. due to this.

I have called Volvo Customer Affairs and the President's office of Volvo - they don't seem to have a lot of info/reports of this happening although I pointed out to them that it is all over forums like this and if you just Google "Volvo wet floor" you find that this may not just be limited to the XC90! Google "XC90 Sunroof drain" and there are a ton more complaints, people looking for answers. Something should be done here !!!!!

I for one do not plan to pay a penny for this recurring problem whether my car is out of warranty or not. This is a design flaw that should be fixed by Volvo every time it happens.

Maybe all of you having this problem should start writing/calling Volvo so this gets fixed once and for all. I imagine more problems will arise from this when our vehicles are 7 -8 years old!!! Rusting floors, mold smell, electrical problems, etc. etc.

We gotta let them know this is not an isolated situation. Perhaps many park in garages so they are not experiencing this - but, agian - pull up those mats and take a look - you may not realize the problem is there!

Default Reply from Volvo Customer Care

Here's the reply so far - will let you all know what happens from here.

I have to give them credit on their timely e-mail reply anyway! I hope they make good on solving the problem once and for all too!!

Dear Mr. :

Please be advised that your situation has been documented and directed to the appropriate department.

The Office of the President did respond to your inquiry and the answer does remain as reported.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Most Sincerely,

Customer Care

---- Original Message ----
    To : [email protected]
    Subject : Follow up to my XC90 Sunroof Problem [INTR:254735]
    Date : Mon, 11 Feb 2008, 10:25:47 AM EST

Hello,

I called last week to discuss a problem with my XC90 (VIN# ). Based on our call I also contacted the Executive Offices of Volvo.

I’ve been getting water in the passenger compartment from a problem with sunroof drains. Since you claimed that this was not a recall item I took it upon myself to do some research and I would like to point out that a simple Google Search on the web will turn up a number of Volvo owners searching for answers as to why they have water in their cars. XC90 owners in particular have a number of postings on forums and websites about this. Perhaps you should do some of your own research – look at dealer service data etc. and issue the appropriate recall and or service bulletins.

Since I have been told that this will be a recurring problem I want Volvo to know that I do not intend to pay for regular maintenance on this issue – and that with a car of this supposed “quality” – it is unacceptable to be told that “this is just something that happens”. Volvo needs to redesign these drains, come up with a solution and make sure that no owner is paying to have their car pumped out, cleaned, dried, etc.

As I said in my post on VolvoXC.com (below) – in a few years these vehicles will likely have additional problems with rust, electronic issues, etc. if this is not properly solved. At that point, perhaps a class action lawsuit will be in order to recover the damages spent by thousands of XC90 owners.

Please come up with a solution to this problem. I love the XC90 except for this problem!!!!

I will expect some type of follow up from Volvo on this. My contact information is below.

Thank You,

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

It appears that they have been well aware of this problem for a while now. The PDF attachments described in the TNN below explain the probable causes and fixes for those notorious sunroof leaks.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

The last two steps are described below.

Thanks Art - very helpful.

Default More info

Thanks to Art I found the following on Volvotechinfo.com - perhaps the item number will be helpful to reference for others having this problem.

Waterleaks from sunroof, fault tracing and service
    Item: TNN83-34-2005-09-02 Page Count: 6
    Models/Years Several root causes have been found for possible water leakage from the sunroof. This TNN …more describes fault tracing and service methods for the most common problems. …short view

We live in Oregon, so have really bad problem with water on passenger side floor. So glad I found this thread. I'll keep following it and send a note myself. Thanks ~

Angry Bad news

Hi

I got a prompt reply from Volvo CS re: the water problem. However, the woman I spoke with told me that the problem is more than likely due to clogged sunroof drains ~ it's been a known problem in the past~ but that I would be solely responsible for the cost of having my car looked at and fixed. I asked how Volvo could, in good conscience, make customers pay for what is basically a design flaw on their part....She said the water problem is "due to outside influences" and that it's a "maintenance issue" - meaning it is OUR responsibility to make sure our sunroof drains stay free of debris, etc.,so the drains don't then become completely clogged and can then only be cleared out by the dealer.....

WHAT???!!!!

To add to the pain, I am 3 hrs. from the closest dealership.....

Default Re: XC 90 Sunroof Drain

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyb62 View Post
    We live in Oregon, so have really bad problem with water on passenger side floor. So glad I found this thread. I'll keep following it and send a note myself. Thanks ~
    I'm in Oregon, too, although on the "dry side" (ha!). No problem with leaks anywhere. The topic of moonroof leaks has come up a few times in various forums and is thought to be a common problem with all cars having moonroofs (do a search of "[any brand] wet floor" for many references). Besides user error (not closing the roof all the way) the causes are as described in the files Art posted; a couple are manufacturing defects (loose or kinked hose, poor moonroof fit) and others are simple maintenance (clogged drain, damaged seal) but none are really design flaws. That it has happened twice to the OP indicates that the problem may not have been fixed properly by the dealer.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

I had this same problem when I first got my used 2004 Xc90 a year ago but i fixed it myself by cutting the nipple edges and make it larger so it doesn't clogg up. The rubber drain tube ends on the lower part of the side and drains just cut a bigger hole and it should clogg up unless a big hairball travels through the tube
    2004 xc90 2.5T
    1994 850 T-5

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast