Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thule cross bars howling on the highway...

Hi... not really volvo xc related, but I figured someone out htere may have encountered this problem before. I just bought a set of Thule cross bars, and a Thule Ranger 90 roof bag. The system worked great - didn't notice anything on our 500+ mile drive.

Thule recommends that you don't drive with teh roof bags when they're empty, so when we reached our destination, I removed the bag. Now, when I hit 40, the cross bars start whistling at me... and as I move from 60 to 80 it starts howling!!!

Is there a fix for this? I tried moving hte front bar back about 4 inches, and that seemed to quiet it a little. Anything else I should try?

Quote Originally Posted by chinapat View Post

Is there a fix for this? I tried moving hte front bar back about 4 inches, and that seemed to quiet it a little. Anything else I should try?
    Move the X bars as far back as possible, that is all folks

I had the same thing with my Yak round cross bars. I ended up buying a Yak fairing, one of those black polycarbonate plastic ones. I clipped it so it fits nicely between the roof rails, and the feet sit just behind the sunroof opening. I was surprised, it works like a charm and doesn't add any other noise. And to me, it looks kinds cool (once I removed the Yakima graphic with lacquer thinner).
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

I've had Thules on two Explorers and my XC 70. When I transported kayaks little noise, but without the boats always howling. I just turned up the radio. I thought about trying the fairing, but I'm just too cheap

Thanks JRL. I'll try moving them back a little farther tomorrow and hopefully that'll work. If not... then I'll go for the plastic thingy.... and if that doesn't work, I will upgrade my HU-650 and just turn up the G'N'R....

Yep, It's about position and the fairing. The fairing quiets the whole mess down and front bar placement aft of the rear lip of the sunroof frame helps a bunch.
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
    HST-RIP

OK. So I moved my front cross bar all the way back to the back seat headrests (just ahead of where the midway joint of the roof rails connect to the roof) and its still howling.

1) Before running out to buy a fairing, anything else I should try?
    2) Does anyone know if it is ok to have both cross bars behind the roof rail midway joint? (ie. both above the cargo area of the wagon)
    3) if I do buy a fairing, do I use it when using the roof box or roof bag, or do you replace one with the other?

Sorry for all the questions...

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

I usually just remove the bars altogether when they are not needed. It only takes me a couple of minutes and after that I never have to worry about noise.

i don't notice the noise too much in the Volvo - the Pathfinder was waaay noisier, but with the sunroof open it'll likely be different.
    Yakima sells a 12-15" wide clip-on airfoil profile that helps a fair bit, but the best is to remove them when you want the peace & quiet.
    you can't move the xbars too far back if you want to put a ski box on top (I have the Yakima Skybox 18 - roomy goodness)

Quote Originally Posted by chinapat View Post
    OK. So I moved my front cross bar all the way back to the back seat headrests (just ahead of where the midway joint of the roof rails connect to the roof) and its still howling.

1) Before running out to buy a fairing, anything else I should try?
    2) Does anyone know if it is ok to have both cross bars behind the roof rail midway joint? (ie. both above the cargo area of the wagon)
    3) if I do buy a fairing, do I use it when using the roof box or roof bag, or do you replace one with the other?

Sorry for all the questions...
    You can put them side by side all the way to the rear if you like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast