Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MPG just doesn't make sense!

I like the look of the new XC70. Can't wait to pick up a new Volvo in Sweden in the dead of winter, but I refuse to buy any new car, this includes a Volvo till they improve MPG for the US. No diesels here!!!!!!

I just don't know what Volvo is thinking. It would at least be some what palatable if they made the normally aspirated engine a "Normal Unleaded" car and not a "Premium Unleaded" car?!?!?!?

Below is the MPG comparison. I included my 02 XC70 and my other car that I am surprised to say is not as much as a gas hog as the new xc70.

note: I couldn't fit in the enviro impact score of the 3 cars. XC70, 2008 is best with the XC70, 2002 being worst!
    Last edited by travelkids; 11-18-2007 at 11:41 AM.

This is the major reason I'm disappointed with the new MY08 XC70. Volvo is totally missing the boat when it comes to fuel efficiency. Other premium brands have achieved a substantial improvement, volvo: nada. Even Volvo's diesel offering is falling behind what others can offer. This is simply unacceptable these days.

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Gas Mileage

Agree with you folks and really do not understand why Volvo fails to improve their mileage with the release of every new engine. Mileage is quickly becoming a differentiator (as compared to basic safety which most manufacturers offer) in sales. Surely Volvo can do better!

Our Avalon gets an honest 40 MP Imperial Gallon (32 MPG for the smaller US gallon) on the highway from a 3.5 litre engine. Volvo will ned to address this issue given the current environmental environment and high gas prices.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

I definitely think it is a different state of mind outside the US.

Looks like the Mpg movement is alot further along in Europe/UK. Might have to do with the cost of Gas/Diesel!

People still drive big SUVs at 80mph down the interstate. The hybrid push is just a trinket of an attempt to satisfy those that want to do good. Most articles I read when reviewing Hybrids is that it would take about 5-10 years to offset the additional cost of a hybrid with the cost of gas. When trying to find a car that gets over 40mpg you will find not GAS car that is listed by the Goverment website. In 1986 my Honda CRX SI would get 40mpg!!!!

With the technology advances today we certainly should be getting double the combined MPG.

I saw a review of the C30 vs Mini cooper S. Absolutely got killed when it came to MPG.

Any people from the US want to chime in on this topic?!?!?

Beware of comparing 2008 MPG figures with older ones. The method of determining actual milage has been changed so direct comparisons can be misleading. 2008 MPG figures are lower than before, but supposedly reflect more accurately real life conditions. But I agree that Volvo does need to refocus on mileage to better compete with the other premium brands.

One thing I pay an MPG penalty for is my AWD. The wife's FWD S80 gets about 4 MPG better than my XC70 in the same driving conditions.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Quote Originally Posted by tgwillard View Post
    Beware of comparing 2008 MPG figures with older ones. The method of determining actual milage has been changed so direct comparisons can be misleading. 2008 MPG figures are lower than before, but supposedly reflect more accurately real life conditions. But I agree that Volvo does need to refocus on mileage to better compete with the other premium brands.

One thing I pay an MPG penalty for is my AWD. The wife's FWD S80 gets about 4 MPG better than my XC70 in the same driving conditions.
    Very good point, however the post above is a 2002 xc with 08 standards applied. So the direct comparison is accurate.

I hope the "Efficient" line that they are working on is quickly implemented!

I do like the fact that the XC 70 diesel gets close to 40 mpg!!!

Can I have a diesel please?!?!?!?

Volvo is simply saving the cost of a Turbo and passing the increased cost from lower gas mileage to the consumer. Volvo could care less about what you want. no more volvo's for me until either a diesel or improved mpg. There are MANY other vehicles available. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default More mileage woes

As they say, your mileage might vary. Just returned from a 500m RT DC-NYC-DC. Our real world mileage was 19.8mpg. This was all highway at 65-80, plus just the ins and outs of NYC (which was not for too long). 4 people, incl 2 kids, light baggage in a 2007 XC 70 with 3 months, 5000 miles on clock, nothing on the roof. No a/c use. Traffic was by and large flowing freely in both directions.

In DC's cut and thrust and stop-every-block-or-so commuting we get 13-15 mpg. with the Volvo, which really stinks. This is slightly below the 15-17mpg we got over many years on the same route with our 95 Passat GLX Wagon, and our '03 Volvo V70 (with AWD, so close to the weight of the XC70, though perhaps marginally more aerodynamic).

I now use a Prius to try and help offset the XC70'x carbon footprint. I get 37-41mpg on the same route where the Volvo gets the 13-15, so our fleet average is a bearable 25-28mpg. But truly sad in this day and age...

Even sadder to note that Volvo has chosen to not make an evolutionary leap on this front with the MY08s.
    2007 XC70 Barents Blue, Adventure Pkg

XCelerate Guest

Default fuel efficiency in real life

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...t=10324&page=2

A lot about the (lack) of efficiency has already been said in the thread above.

Let's add some real life data here. I've been driving my new MY08 for about 2,500km and the car is using 14.9 litres/100km on average (98 RON; highest octane fuel). This is not really what I call efficient. The kms have been in busy traffic mostly, but the consumption is about 3.5 litres/100km higher than my MY05 2.5T (Rica tuned) averaged. This is rather shocking, since Volvo is claiming that the 3.2 is just a wee bit more efficient than the 2.5T. Quod non. The dealer says consumption will approve after 10k/kms. Let's see.

Other items:
    - interior heater remote control not functioning;
    - irritating whistling sound from about 80km/hr;
    - power steering not working OK; when I stop the car after a longer drive and restart the engine after a short break, the power steering seems not to work or to work at a lower level (heavy steering); when you stop and restart the engine the power steering is back online so to say.

Other experiences. It takes some time to get used to the different engine. It has a completely different characteristic from the 2.5T. You have to drive it differently. When you know how to make the more aggressive cam profile kick in, the car is really quite quick. Don't see why anyone would actually need a T6 (to want to have a T6 is something else, btw that car (V70) consumes even more!!). Especially in the USA where everyone seems to drive the Sarbanes-Oxley way. A T6 would be nice, but really you don't need it.

I have never had so many compliments about the look of a new car. Everybody likes it. I do too, the interior is so much nicer and the exterior too. The car is quieter, love the Dynaudio, ventilated seats are great, Bluetooth works fine, etc, etc..

dcawd:

The mileage on your 2007 XC70 seems very low for mostly highway driving. In a similar type trip from Scranton to Boston and back this past August I got just under 30 mpg going and a little less coming back. This is with five adults and luggage (a full load). Speed was about 60-65 on highway. Around town in the summer I get 27 and in the winter about 23. My wife's S80 FWD gets consistantly about 4 mpg better than my XC70 with both using mid grade gasoline. When I hear of other Volvos getting lower mileage I wonder if perhaps the computer is running the engine richer than necessary?
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast