Default Gravel roads and dusty back windows

I want to buy a Volvo, and consider the S60, S80, and XC70. My favorite is the XC70, but I live on a gravel road and worry about the dirty back window syndrome that seems to affect anything with a flat rear end. I realize it has a rear washer/wiper, but that ends up creating a scored window if used a lot.

Does this model Volvo deposit a lot of dust on the back glass? Isn't there some kind of spoiler or wing for over the back window, if so, do they work?

Any gravel drivers here who can speak to all of this?

Thank you.

I drive on gravel/dirt roads everyday and it drives me crazy. I have a few rattles on my 2005 XC70 with 45,000 on it because of it. The rear window is not an issue and I tend to let it go longer than I would like between washings. Never had any scoring for the 2 years I have owned it and I do take it to the quarter/spray wash and to the drive through washes in the winter. I know there are a lot of people in this forum that do not take their XC70's through auto washes but I dont have time or the stones to wash it outside by hand in the Michigan winters
    I drove a sable wagon in college and loved blowing by SUV's on the highway in a foot of snow, low and stable even with FWD. I have always said I would drive nothing but a wagon if it had AWD and I finally had the money and the opportuity to get this vehicle so I would highly recommend the XC70 over the other models you mentioned, dont let the flat rear window deter you.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
    ....Isn't there some kind of spoiler or wing for over the back window, if so, do they work?
    Other than reinforcing the sporty look of my Ruby Red XC70, the spoiler doesn't do much else functionally. In my opinion the rear spoiler makes the XC70 and especially the V70R look awesome!

MDD
    '06 XC90 ORE #770, OSD, Convenience & Climate Packages
    '04 XC70, Ruby Red, Premium and Touring Packages (stock OSD) *with* Spoiler, Winged Cross bars and only room for two car seats! 36k miles and rolling
    '99 Ford Taurus, Blue/Gray, 160k

Quote Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
    Does this model Volvo deposit a lot of dust on the back glass?
    Yes. I clean it with paper towels and Invisible Glass.
    2001 Volvo V70XC
    Venitian Red/Beige
    Cold Weather/Touring/Premium packages
    08/01 Build Date

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Gravel Roads

Don't let this issue hold you back.

I spend a fair amount of time on gravel backroads. Yes, it does get dirty. Fortunately, the rear wiper and spray combination are great, covering an really large area of the lift gate (almost double the sweep of my Cherokee). I have not had any hint of wiper scoring the window over the past 110,000 km (65,000 miles) and don't worry about it.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Spoiler is not worth anything and gets in the way of loading boats on top. Wiper works fine. I don't take my XC's to Car Washes either, in fact I don't wash them except at service intervals. They don't seem to mind either!-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S