Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 98 V70 XC Tail Gate Latch

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a rear tailgate lock assembly online? I have looked online and cant seem to find one...lots of front and rear door lock assemblys but no rear. I would hate to pay a dealers price. I have tried to get it to work and it is just done. Thanks

I'd be interested as well. Parts just fell out of the latch on my 2000 XC and now the tailgate open light is always on...

Default Found one

Hi,

I solved my own problem - I found the part at FCP Groton Auto Parts finally - http://www.fcpgroton.com - The part for my car was $139.00 USD and I ordered a tailgate kit $17.00 to put tailgate panel back on once I take it off - The clips will break when you remove the panel to get at the latch - I am sure they will have the parts for your 2000

Cheers

Thanks Hightest,

I'll check it out.
    How difficult was it to get to the latch?

Hi,

It took 3 days to ship it - Took about a half hour to install - I also ordered the tailgate repair kit which included new clips ($17)

Default hmmm

Hightest, my sister's 98 tailgate latch stopped working. How hard is it to do the repair? How did you get the interior off when the door was stuck closed?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Default 2000 V70 XC - Door latches

For the last 1 1/2 years, I've had a major issue with Volvo and some of the assemblies used in this car.

I purchased my XC three years ago and have loved it, save for the following. Crucial plastic parts/assemblies that are used in various components within the car have short life spans, break and need to be replaced in order for the car to function properly. In particular, for me, are the electrical door lock assembly, the tailgate latch and the most recent, the drivers left footrest. Were these products made in China, I would understand the issue of quality. However, these parts are Volvo parts, made in Germany.

In the first case, a very thin plastic actuator within the passenger door latch has cracked and separated away from a pivoting hub. This 'minor' part trips the lock to open, as somebody pulls on the exterior handle of the door. Now, I must enter the car and reach across to the interior latch to allow the passenger to enter. Everything else within the latch assembly, works fine. To repair this, one must replace the entire door latch mechanism at an OEM cost of $200.

The second, again, is nothing more than a thin plastic sleeve assembled over the latch hook of the tailgate latch assembly. This plastic sleeve has an actuator tab that presses against a micro-switch actuator, which 'tells' the security system when the tailgate is closed securely. Again, the electrical and mechanical assembly works fine and the tailgate does latch and lock. However, the security system is never armed and the 'tailgate open' light is always on.

The most recent is that silly plastic plate, located just to the left of the break pedal and fixed to the carpet. It is not quite something that undergoes an exceptional amount of wear or is the focal point of high stress or mechanical loads. To my surprise while vacuuming the carpet, this piece is shifting around quite a bit. As I slide it out from the keyhole slots on the floorboard, I find that the plastic tabs attached to the two round plastic guide pins that secure it to the floor, are all but gone. Now, this footrest just sits freely on the carpet.

The common thread is the plastic. I traded in a 1990 Toyota Camry with 330,000 miles on it, to buy, what my wife and I believed to be a quality car. With all the cars I've had over three decades of driving, I've never experienced so many problems with assemblies that typically are not a problem. Breaks, shocks and motor mounts I would expect to replace. However, door latches and simple trim parts? Not likely.

The history of problems with this model (in particular, the electronic throttle assembly and the ABS circuit board) is evidence of extreme oversight from the engineering and quality control managers at Volvo. Perhaps there is a belief that the customer will acquiesce and pay for the repair (recall that the Electronic throttle body repair was in excess of $1000 until the recent settlement).

In the end, I love this vehicle. As a designer/engineer and problem/solutions administrator, I cannot tolerate the cheapness within the assemblies I've examined.

I've had this same problem with my '99 V70XC for the past couple of years. When I got to close the tailgate it will only latch about one out of ten times. It's pretty frustrating so I avoid opening it. Thanks for the info on the replacement parts, I've been avoiding this repair out of fear of what the dealer will charge.

Well, I finally got around to calling Groton Parts and they don't carry a 2000 XC tailgate latch. My latch has since started failing to hold, so I just keep it closed all the time now.

Anyone know of another parts supplier that might have that part for less than full dealer price?

If you think about what these cars cost NEW.. And what they are going for USED, some are alot of money, while they still retain the value. When they are past the point of value and just a used $2000 or $5000 car.. At this point in their lives at 10 years old or 9 years old, the prior owners have spend SO much money on these cars just to keep them running. The parts they are putting on are either junk yard parts or woeful after market items. I can't imagine what a 2001 X/C will be worth when its 15 years old. Not much and who in their right mind would want one????? Locks and foot rest will not be the problem....... Everything else will...

Jake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast