Thread: First Look

Default First Look

While at the dealer today I spent some time in a new 2008 XC70. I did not drive it, but went over the features. The new keyless ignition is nice in that you just need to have the fob in your pocket to start and stop the car. It even unlocks the doors when you walk up to it. The power tail gate is also nice. The remote opens it, but then you push a button on the bottom of the tailgate to close it. You no longer need to pull out the seat bottoms on the rear seats before dropping the seat backs to make more cargo room. The seat bottoms stay put and the seat backs fold down and lay flat. When you unlatch the seat back, the head rest automatically drops down. The EPA numbers are lower (14/22) compared to the old models, but then they are now using a different calculation to come up with these numbers so you can not compare EPA numbers with earlier years.

I noticed that Pirelli STR's are no longer used (at least on the two cars I saw today). Instead they are using Continental's. I noticed that there is now a 17" wheel option since one of the two had 235/55 17R and the other had 215/65 16R tires.

Very nice leather seats with hot and cold air now blowing through the seats to warm or cool you, instead of just the heated seats the earlier models had.

On a completely unrelated issue, but one I find interesting: they had on the lot a new S80 with every available option except navigation. MSRP was $60,700.00.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Volvo continues to use the good looking eggcrate style grill, but what's that strange looking "in-filled" part on the passenger side of the grill? Looks like an after thought.
    '06 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 115k miles
    '01 Volvo v70 T5 245k miles
    '04 MINI Cooper 145k miles
    '80 International Scout 115 miles
    '01 Volvo XC70 (gone at 100k miles)
    '93 Volvo 850 (gone at 195k miles)

That could be the radar sensor for the option that tells the car when you are too close to the car in front of you. The unit is placed directly behind the grill.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Right. It's the 'adaptive cruise control'.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

I was looking at the spec's last night and saw that the engine is an inline 6 and not a v-6. I was very excited about that, I love the BMW inline's and I hope the Volvo's is as smooth.

I assumed because Ford currently owns Volvo that they would try to slip in the V-6 they use in many other vehicles but this gives me hope that they are not screwing up the brand.