Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Smile Paddling Trip to Vargas Island (Southern Clayoquot Sound, B.C.)

Clayoquot Sound is comprised of a group of islands located north of Tofino almost ˝ way up the west side of Vancouver Island. The largest islands in the sound are Meares, Vargas and Flores.

Our plan was to paddle from the town of Tofino over to Vargas Island where we would ultimately spend the duration of our stay. In addition to visiting several smaller islands, we also circumnavigated Vargas before returning back to Tofino.

I've taken the liberty of posting a pictorial journal of the trip below. I hope that you enjoy it.

Parked at a roadside lookout along the Malahat Hwy outside of Victoria

View overlooking the Saanich Inlet

Tofino Seakayaking

Calm conditions in the Maurus Channel on the east side of Vargas Island

Paddling towards our first campsite located just around the point at the northwest corner of Vargas

Arrival at Dick and Jane's Beach

This giant drift wood tree root made a convenient place to hang our wet gear.

Lolita, belonging to sea kayaking legend, John Dowd and his wife Bea, greeted us upon our arrival at Dick and Jane’s. Mr. Dowd, who resides on Vargas, was the founding editor of Seakayaker Magazine and established Ecomarine Ocean Kayaking Center in Vancouver.

As we were setting up camp, I was completely awestruck when John Dowd stopped by for a chat prior to heading off to one of his favorite fishing spots. He returned later that afternoon with two decent sized salmon in hand. While he does still occasionally paddle, he now seems to prefer rod over paddle.

We pitched our tents further back from the beach head where they were more protected from the wind.

Synonymous with this part of the west coast, a late afternoon fog rolls in and, in no time at all, envelops the entire area.

A few beach photos

The Whaler Islets on the way to Flores Island - This stunning piece of real estate is an irresistible place to stop and have lunch

Ideal conditions made it a leisurely paddle over to Flores Island

Whitesands Cove on Flores Island

Our second campsite at Ahous Bay where we also met up with several members of the SKABC (Seakayakers Association of BC)

During a day trip to Blunden Island, we encountered some decent sized swell and a few small boomers as we cautiously made our way around the outside of Blunden's rock gardens.

One of several protected coves that fringe Blunden Island

Interesting looking fungi along the trail behind our campsite at North Ahous Bay

This wooded trail eventually led to a dune beach on the exposed side of Vargas

Wolf tracks on this long stretch of beach added further evidence of the howls that we heard during the previous night

Nothing like having an entire beach to yourself. Sweet!

Three SKABC kayakers paddling back to the campsite after a day on the water

Life is good

Our last day on Vargas as we departed Ahous Bay with our new found friends of the SKABC

A member proudly displaying his home built sail

Making our way back to Tofino through the La Croix Group of Islets, otherwise known as the ‘Snakepit’ by some locals.

Map of Vargas Island

You live in a beautiful part of the world and evidently have a great life.

I thoroughly enjoy viewing your excellent photographs.

Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

Default Vargas

Great looking trip. Not so sure about the bigger waves there...

Jealous...

TJ.
    TJ
    93 850 GLT (Kid's drive it now)--->05 XC70, Ash Gold
    Sports Package with Four-C Active Chassis (Kid's drive it now)--->13 XC60, Platinum Plus with Tech and 19" rims

Default Valhalla

AWSOME
    "Freedom isn't Free"

2000 XC 106k, Artic white, Sirius, Aluminum Dash Trim Rings, Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA

Appreciate the comments guys.

We would have loved to have set aside more time exploring the area and have already made plans for another trip there next season. Spending time in Clayoquot, or virtually anywhere on the west coast, doesn't make us think twice about the 1100 km drive to get our fix for ocean paddling .

Art,

Once again - another EXCELLENT pictorial of your adventures! . The more I see your pictures of Canada, the more I yearn to get out and visit that part of the world. Some day...some day..... I promise. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Default Another Great Trip

Hi Art

Awesome looking trip! Wish we had been with you. I think I recognize some of the areas you stopped.

Patrick
    2004 XC70 Black w graphite leather
    Touring and Sport Packages

Once again, thanks Guys.

Gary,

Yes, we are truly blessed to have such great places to visit and explore. I've only managed to provide a small glimpse of what western Canada has to offer in terms of natural beauty. I share your feelings and would really would love to do the 'cross the country' tour thing….some day.

Patrick,

The trip was indeed awesome! No whale sightings but we did manage to spot a number of porpoises on our way to Whitesands Cove. We're looking forward to spending more time in the area next year.