Default can skipping scheduled maintenance void warranty?

Hello all,

I'm the proud new owner of a 2003 XC70 w/ 30k on it. So far I'm loving it! I did go for the extended warranty at the time of purchase, and I just received the paperwork in the mail. The 30k tuneup was not performed on the car before I bought it, and I read in the fine print something that made me wonder if something broke and I hadn't had the scheduled maintenance done, would the warranty be voided? I called the maintenance head at the dealership and he gave me a nebulous answer that basically told me not to worry about anything, and the scheduled stuff was mostly voluntary. Anybody have any info? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mydogchuck View Post
    Hello all,

I'm the proud new owner of a 2003 XC70 w/ 30k on it. So far I'm loving it! I did go for the extended warranty at the time of purchase, and I just received the paperwork in the mail. The 30k tuneup was not performed on the car before I bought it, and I read in the fine print something that made me wonder if something broke and I hadn't had the scheduled maintenance done, would the warranty be voided? I called the maintenance head at the dealership and he gave me a nebulous answer that basically told me not to worry about anything, and the scheduled stuff was mostly voluntary. Anybody have any info? Thanks!
    Well, you should have SOMEONE do a service and keep receipts.
    Why would you not want to service your car?
    You are NOT legally bound to have a dealer do it but if you DID have a major problem and you did not come up with proof of any servicing they could give you trouble. (Any manufacturer could, read the fine print and read your warranty)!

oh, trust me I do want to take care of the car and plan to. However, I live 250 miles away from the nearest dealer, and I was concerned more with the mileage-you know, someone saying, "well, you didn't have your 30k service until 36k; sorry!" I did read the warranty, which said something about skipped service could void the warranty, but the maintenance chief I talked to went through the items on the 30k one by one and basically threw some out and reassured me that if I don't have every little item on the maintenance list done before I hit the mileage that I won't automatically have a problem if something goes wrong. This is an expensive car to maintain, and I knew that before buying it.

I think if you had to have warranty work done for some reason and Volvo could prove the work that needed to be done was a result of having not serviced something, as opposed to a manufacturing fault, then you may find the warranty not covering that particular fix. That's why the warranty says "may" be voided.

Avoid further delay - get the servicing done ASAP and then get on a regular servicing schedule (whether through your dealer or an independant garage).

Best of luck.
    2004 XC70 Black w graphite leather
    Touring and Sport Packages

Don't worry about it 'voiding' your warranty. Volvo has to prove you caused the damage which is hard to do.