Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Avoiding bumper cladding discolouration

Folks,

Have searched through the forum and found some useful discussions on how to get discoloured bumpers looking good again. Curious about a few things--how widespread is the problem of the bumpers going gray-ish after a while? Is this something that happens to all all/most XC70s exposed to a lot of sun? (N. European drivers need not respond to this one!) Also, is anyone out there convinced that using the wax option in automatic car washes makes things worse? There was also some talk of using a UV protectant to prevent the bumpers fading--anyone with any experience here as to whether it worked? Essentially, am wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid the problem from the get go.

thanks
    2007 XC70 Barents Blue, Adventure Pkg

I suspect any plastic trim and/or bumper will begin to lose its luster after a few years of exposure to UV rays. This is why I try to use a reflector inside the windshield to help preserve the dash plastic. Although in that case it is more a heat issue than a UV issue since UV will not pass through glass. Getting back to the outside plastic trim, I apply a protectant every month in the summer. I wish they still sold the stuff used to shine up the old black vinyl tops on cars. That stuff reminded me of shoe polish, and did a great job restoring those black vinyl tops.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

I use this.

It addresses the brownish color I see on so many of these cars. Mine are nice and shiny and black.
    The fleet...

'02 Volvo V70xc w/72k miles SOLD

'03 Honda Element EX AWD w/52k miles
    '81 Toyota Diesel Pickup longbed 2WD w/85k miles
    '92 Plymouth Voyager (beater car) w/100k miles
    '03 Buell XB9 Lightning w/8k mile

[SIGPIC]

I agree with tgwillard that it is probably because of UV radiation that the cladding gets dull.
    I use a general PVC cleaning and preservation fluid that I also use on the roll-down shutters
    of the house. I only applied it once, not very much sunshine
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Willy,
    How long ago did you apply this stuff and how has it lasted? Just about anything out there (Back to Black, ArmourAll, etc) will get your bumpers black (blue in my case) again, but first rain or even a good overnight dew and the cladding is all streaky and then back to the same faded, oxydized look again in a day or so. Just my experience...
    '06 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 115k miles
    '01 Volvo v70 T5 245k miles
    '04 MINI Cooper 145k miles
    '80 International Scout 115 miles
    '01 Volvo XC70 (gone at 100k miles)
    '93 Volvo 850 (gone at 195k miles)

I used something similar to Back to Black from Griot's Garage on our old Saab, and it worked great and lasted for a very long time, but when I used it on our old Volvo 850, it looked like crap, all blotchy. So now I am hesitant to try anything on the XC.
    When I had the windows tinted, they washed the car afterwards and used something on the bumpers, which looked very black, but it was much the same a few days later.

Patrick

Default clean bumpers

I have the grey cladding - a scotchbrite pad with island girl - I use the stuff on my boat - amazing - dont let it get wet for the first day, then wipe it down - looks like factory -

here is a link to the IG website - I use the seaglow and silkenseal - stuff should work on colors -

Im not kidding this stuff is the best stuff I have ever used - its a little pricey, because its made in smaller batches. Watch the inventors movies -

http://www.islandgirlproducts.com/island3.html

I am not sure, but I think it holds more than a year.
    But, as I mentioned, my car is not exposed to very much sunlight.
    On the other hand, washing the car doesn't seem to influence the result.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

i have the dark blue bumpers and Armoral seems to work well. i use it every few months and they look brand new.
    Frank
    2003 V70 XC
    1993 Typhoon
    1987 Grand National
    1969 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 4033 View Post
    i have the dark blue bumpers and Armoral seems to work well. i use it every few months and they look brand new.
    I would avoid it. ...it will make it look worse over time.
    On our 01 bummer after four years you could see the zigzag milling of the plastic. It was never visible until about a year after I started treating it. As a result I'd have to apply the treatment with increasing frequency.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast