Default Oil Leak 98 XC70

Just noticed a failry significant oil leak on our XC70. Have not been able to get it up on ramps yet but from what I can see, its coming from above the oil pan and dripping down around the back of the pan and the drain plug. A search on this forum came up with a possible turbo oil return line leak. Is this fixable by a shade tree mechanic or should I leave this to the guys at Eurocars in Groton?

Not a biggie to do.
    I would replace it, clean everything up and monitor the leak.
    If it was only the line everything should be normal, if not, you have a RMS issue (rear main seal), they can look the same

Default Helpful diagnostics

Similar problem, same model & yr.

Thanks

Turned out it was indeed the turbo oil return. Fixed at Eurocars Groton. No more leaks, thankful its not a RMS issue!

I think I am looking at the same thing, and the shop has quoted me $400 to replace the oil lines and seals. Does this price seem high?

Scott

Thumbs up Could be a good price

If they are doing the turbo oil return line AND removing the pan and replacing those seals (about 7 of them), then 400 bucks is a fair deal. Labour is about 4.5h in the shop and about 96 hours in the driveway (although it seemed like longer). I think this service is at least as important as the PCV service, and mileage should be about the same for both. I have a separate post on the oil seal topic. Oh, and use Volvo seals. They're cheap so it's not worth going aftermarket.
    As fun to fix as they are to drive.

[I think I am looking at the same thing, and the shop has quoted me $400 to replace the oil lines and seals. Does this price seem high?

Way high for just the turbo oil return line and seal - charge at Eurocars was less than 150 bucks.