Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Imported post

Gundo-- what I was talking about is anyone who thinks the geartronic is a gimmick or toy.... should go back to automatic (la la) thinking mode...(I think the history of the related thread called <<"Auto-stick" gear shift, Do you use it? If yes, when?>> had at least one of those "its a toy/gimmick" comments). I was assuming these folks (who made the gimmick comments) probably don't know how to drive a stick and therfore have no clue of the merits (not that that makes them a bad person). I'm new to this Volvo world as its my wifes car... but I am warming up fast to its capabilities. Perhaps I'm wrongfully stereotyping the typical XC owner as a Soccer Mom Sally or Softball Dad Dan who many can't drive anything but an auto and who probably never heard of heel-toe shifting, double cluthing or any other performace technique. .. and thats fine.. this car is a pleasure to drive mostly in auto mode except when you need/want the control. Applogies to anyone who took offense to auto la la land (but my sales guy was clearly in it).

Stephan-- I would be with you, the computer probably knows the optimal points. I did as Gundo did, took it up to redline in each gear thinking that was optimal. I know this is not a Hot Wheels site, but I would be interested to see the dyno on the XC.

Good test. However, the mertis of engine braking and holding a gear (and the sweat spot in the power band) to allow you to pull strongly out of sweepers makes the stick worth it.

thanks. --Bob

Default Imported post

Good test, but for everday driving the autostick makes little or no difference to me.  I use it for accelerating from 90km to 110km fast around and uphill or downhill corner or passing on  a mountain road.  We are not talking off the line speed from a stop light on the way home from school/work.  The other great use for it is in snowy conditions when the cars in front are sliding backwards down the hill towards you and  you want the extra control necessary to get out of the way.
    Yes this is a station wagon, and yes, some of us carry kids in the car but some of us have can drive a manual - but we deserve a car that doesn't drive like a bus- for which I have a license ( don't tell the school).
    TLCxc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12