PDA

View Full Version : Center brake light and wiper not working

dtlayman
06-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Except for our Virginia state inspection a week or so ago, we would not know that our center brake light is not working. A few days after our inspection the rear wiper stopped working. I have checked the fuses but they look ok.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

BillAileo
06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
A likely problem is where the wiring flexes where it runs from the body of the car into the top left side of the tailgate. The wires have probably worn through. Do a site search and you will find other folks that have had that problem, some were able to patch it themselves.

Bill

dtlayman
06-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I looked at the left side of the hatchback where the wiring goes through and there are several severed wires. Wow, seems like a bad design.

Anybody have some thoughts on how to best repair?

Thanks.

skibo
06-20-2007, 07:08 AM
There is a rubber conduit to hold the wires, no? I'm assuming you pulled that back.

If I were doing this I would probably -
1) Remove insulation about 1/4" on each side of the break.
2) Put a section of 'heat shrink tubing' of the appropriate diameter on one of the 2 sections of wire - I'd choose the side where I could get it farther away from the break.
3) Solder the wires together.
4) Slide the heat shrink tubing over the repair and heat it with a hot-air gun (lighter might work if you're careful)
5) Depending upon the situation, I might then take some measure to keep the wires from rubbing or getting pinched - whichever caused the initial break.

But, it all depends on the situation.

waldi
06-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I have follow the same fixing procedure and at the ned used electric tape to secure harnes in two places to the hinge. Hope that would prevent it from being pinched by hinge again.