PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Windshield

orlimar105
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
So I picked up my first 2005 XC70 the other day. Certified pre-owned from Hudson Valley Volvo. Had not driven it 30 miles when I noticed a crack down the front of the windshield that I had not noticed before, on the passenger side. It was about 16 inches long starting right from the top. Did not hear any crack.

Obviously annoyed, I checked a photograph of the car which I took in the car dealer parking lot before driving it away. Sure enough, there was the start of a crack at the top of the windscreen of about a couple of inches. Caveat emptor, as they say. I'm kicking myself for not noticing it before handing over the check.

I've put in a few calls to Hudson Valley Volvo but they've yet to return it. Will continue chasing, but in the meantime I'm considering my options. I did not receive the 130 point inspection report that comes with Volvos, but I assume that since they provided the warranty it would have passed the inspection test (which I note does include a check-the-box for windshield condition). Further the car did receive a pass from the NY State inspection (which I also checked up - anything longer than 11 inches is a fail). So my conclusion is that the smaller crack was present, but it only become the way it is after being driven at speed. I'm thinking of making an insurance claim, but presumably they will want evidence that I did not buy the car in its current state with the longer crack.

Any thoughts on the above appreciated (any recourse I might have etc). In the meantime, will need to get windshield replaced. Keen to keep the car as much a Volvo as possible, so was wondering whether I could specify an OEM windshield to be installed? Does it make a difference what glass the installer puts in both in terms of looks and performance?

Thanks. Car drives great by the way.

xc4life
06-19-2007, 09:43 PM
My windshield is s***.
It is so craked up (about a 2 foot crack across) it almost covers the entire width of the windsheild :lol:

Mitch
06-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I got an aftermarket last year and the name on it was the same as the OEM! The name escapes me now and my wife is out with the car.

-Mitch

Aviator
06-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Was it Trempex ? Sekurit ? Pilkington ? FY ?

Aviator
06-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Further the car did receive a pass from the NY State inspection (which I also checked up - anything longer than 11 inches is a fail).

Eleven inches ???????? Man that's no safety standard !!!! Especially with a car that has airbags !!! In Canada, in the Provinces that do have yearly Provincial motor vehicle inspections, NO crack is acceptable. Especially in the critical vision area. Even a bull's eye has a size limit on it. Some techs may dispute this on account of the cost of a new windshield, but I don't gamble with a customer's safety, especially with a vehicle that has airbags !!

Dave.

Mitch
06-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Was it Trempex ? Sekurit ? Pilkington ? FY ?

Pilkington. Actually Av, I got done at Speedy.

-Mitch