PDA

View Full Version : Check engine message

medallions
05-30-2004, 10:36 PM
On May 27th 2004 we picked up our new 2004 xc70.  Silver with the touring and premium packages.  As first time volvo owners my wife and I were very excited but were very soon to be disappointed.
The computer started telling us messages that the driver side door was open when it wasn't, that the gas cap was loose when it wasn't and finally the check engine light came on.
We went back to the dealer two days later.
Currently, the car is at the dealer waiting to be fixed.
They gave us a loaner it should be ready by Tuesday June 1st.
My questions;  Is this problem something that can be fixed or can I look forward to this happening again?
Do I have a "lemon"?

AWD*V70XC
05-31-2004, 01:56 AM
Welcome medallions and happy motoring, I think you have a problem with the cars' computer, this will result in a new module or updates being applied. I don't think based on a  few messages that you have a lemon. This is based on all your problems being on one part of the car, namely the ECU. The dealer will probably try some updates first and then if the problems persist they will supply a new ECU.

Happy driving, and stop thinking you have a lemon, otherwise you will never enjoy all the car has to give http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

budrichard
05-31-2004, 08:59 AM
As a Root Cause Analyist, the three problems may not be related and until proved related should be treated separately. Since you will get the vehicle back on Tuesday, it makes no sense to go over the sequence of events to try to determine what the problem or problems are. Your invioce from your dealer should address the three problems individually. If not satisfied, specifically ask the Service Manager and mechanic who worked on your vehicle what was found and done to address each specifc problem. If still in doubt, post back here and I/we will attempt to help you. Without a specifc sequence of events, anything I would post would be pure speculation. -Dick

Southern Volvo Owner
06-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Not to put a dark shadow on the parade - but our 2001 has been plagued with your same problems since the day we picked it up.  In fact it happened to my wife once again today.  She was driving to work - the message came up - stop car immediately - low on oil.  So whe pulled off, called me and I had her check the oil - of course it was full.  So off to the Volvo repair center - its been since our last oil change since the car was in.  My guess is our XC 70 was missing the mechanic and all the attention it gets when it arrives.

I greatly applaud the loyalist of Volvo's - I am glad to see that some owners are happy with their Volvo's.  The ones of us that aren't as tickled sometimes don't represent the best side of Volvo - just means we are just frustrated that our cars just visit the shop way too often.

One thing I would highly recommend if you haven't done so and want to keep the car a while is to buy an extended warranty directly from Volvo.  Without that warranty we would have call it quits a long time ago with our XC 70.

Best of luck and happy motoring!!!

AWD*V70XC
06-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Before you moan about a problem that you think is covered, read your warranty. I have just been caught three times because I thought I was doing the right thing.

Read my other postings here Warranty rip offs (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=2814) If I can save another person what i have just gone through I will be happy, shame nobody could have warned me first http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/unhappy.gif This is a big downer for me.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Please be careful with extended warranties and what you say to your dealer</span>

Southern Volvo Owner
06-01-2004, 03:13 PM
AWD - thanks for your feedback....

The extended warranties are a bit of a pain but I have found them to be better than nothing.

O&#39; update - my Volvo XC 2001 - was in today for the check oil warning - the dealership kept it all day and couldn&#39;t get the light to come on again. &nbsp;This is a repeated thing 6th time. &nbsp;I told Volvo many times to give some kinda of less scarey message or give recommendations like check the oil stupid - my case the oil was full. &nbsp;

I think you will know in the first few months of ownership if you have a lemon - we sure did - but my wife thought it was just part of the Volvo Experience so she lived with it. &nbsp;

She told me tonight as she picked up her car this is the first &amp; last Volvo she wants - the technican was mean to her telling her that it was just user error. &nbsp; Don&#39;t ever tell a Type-A individual that or your going to get a mouth full. &nbsp;

O&#39;well - I told her I was sure glad I found this website it has been an excellent source of venting and help.

Happy Motoring&#33;&#33;&#33; http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

barrysharp
06-01-2004, 08:02 PM
I owned a 245 some years back and it&#39;s oil warning light kept coming on and the Volvo service couldn&#39;t find the root cause after repeated appointments with them. We drove the car for quite some time over about 12 months with this light coming on every now and then. Then one day as my wife was taking daughter to dance class my wife heard this kinda knocking sound. She turned to daughter and asked if she could hear it. Daughter, who was anxious not to be late for class, paused and listened and exclaimed it was coming from the adjacent car. Wife proceeded on without any worry. About 1 mile further on there was an awful knocking sound and the car slowed down abruptly and wife had to pull car over to side of freeway. The car would not restart.

Eventually a tow truck arrived and car was taken to the nearest Volvo shop.

Turns out that the oil pump had failed and one of the crank arms snapped and the broken end of the connect crank arm punched out thru the side of the block.

&#036;2500 later we got our car back.

I have kept the piston and the connected broken crank arm as a paper weight and a reminder about oil warning lights etc. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

medallions
06-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Ok, I picked up our 2004 Volvo XC yesterday with the CHECK ENGINE problem and the loose gas cap message. The service dept stated that it was nothing to worry about and it shouldn't happen again. Everything was fine until this morning when it happened again..
I called service and they said that I should shut the engine off when refueling, Ok fine, but we don't have the car a week and never touched the gas cap. We are still on the same tank of gas that the dealer gave us. To add insult to injury, the service manager stated that the computer will reset itself after 200 miles and that I should just ignore it!
Am I crazy or is it too much to ask that I shouldn't have to look at a check engine light warning if there isn't a problem? What if there is a problem? Am I supposed to wait until the car dies?
This is a brand new Volvo. I really want to like this car, but I'm losing my patience!!

AWD*V70XC
06-02-2004, 03:24 PM
I bet you are really pee'd off. Might I suggest you contact another dealer in your area and see what they might suggest, failing that contact Volvo HQ for your Country and complain about the treatment you are receiving.

I bet they were all nice to you before you handed over the $$$'s but now they have cashed your check, you can go to hell!!!

I also bet that the 200 miles will turn into 400 when you return to say you still have the same problem, so just after how many miles do they expect you to drive it before they fix the fault. I would be very tempted to throw the keys at them and say, you drive it for two hundred miles and then give it back to me - fixed!

In the States, people are afraid of being sued, in the UK & Ireland they are afraid of you standing up to them (as our suing rates don't exist) if I drove away, the problem would be gone, but, if I left the car on their doorstep with the keys and told them to ring me when it was fixed they would soon sort it out, otherwise I would not collect it. When my car goes in for a service I book it in for 2 or 3 days and they keep ringing me up with little faults that they keep finding and each time I ask them 'have you fixed it now' because they know I will just leave it with them and hold onto their loan car until the problem is sorted out.

Don't take no BS from them anymore, you are the customer and you are always right. Good Luck.

budrichard
06-02-2004, 08:20 PM
When you picked up yopur 2004, you should have recieved an invoice adressing each problem seperately, what was found and what was done to address each problem. If you don't have that invoice complain to the dealership management and then call Volvo direct and complain. Did you get an invoice? The information contained on that invoice is needed to assist you. -Dick

medallions
06-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Ok, I brought our new 2004 cross country to service AGAIN for the CHECK ENGINE message... Now they tell me that the O rings on the gas tank are leaking.. Why they didn't check this the first time, I have no idea. I understand that this is covered under warranty, but what really struck a nerve is when the service dept placed blame on the factory. The service department stated that they are starting to see this gas leak problem on 2004 cross countrys.. Isn't that comforting? Hasn't anyone heard of RECALL??
I've had the loaner car longer than I've my cross country..
I have put 158 miles on my car just driving back and forth to the dealer. Shouldn't I be compinsated for the wear and tear on my vehicle?
I'm calling VOLVO HQ to vent my frustration and will follow up with what they have to say..
MIke

medallions
06-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Ok, I brought our new 2004 cross country to service AGAIN for the CHECK ENGINE message... Now they tell me that the O rings on the gas tank are leaking.. Why they didn't check this the first time, I have no idea. I understand that this is covered under warranty, but what really struck a nerve is when the service dept placed blame on the factory. The service department stated that they are starting to see this gas leak problem on 2004 cross countrys.. Isn't that comforting? Hasn't anyone heard of RECALL??
I've had the loaner car longer than I've my cross country..
I have put 158 miles on my car just driving back and forth to the dealer. Shouldn't I be compinsated for the wear and tear on my vehicle?
I'm calling VOLVO HQ to vent my frustration and will follow up with what they have to say..
MIke

AWD*V70XC
06-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Very funny you should mention that about the gas tank, there was another post, I think it was in the older section about somebody having problems with their gas tank, I wonder if a pattern is showing here.