PDA

View Full Version : Low Beam on headlights is driving me crazy

MGC
06-14-2007, 11:03 PM
My eyes must be getting bad for I'm hating the low beam angle on the headlights for my 2003 xc70.

They are so dim and only are showing a short distace in front of my car. Maybe 2 painted lines infront of the car. Last January a car ran a red light and hit the front end of my car, the car was fixed it drives and looks great except for the headlights seem to be out of adjustment.

Is there away to adjust these up a little?

Thanks
Morrie

tgwillard
06-15-2007, 05:31 AM
It seems that your headlights are indeed aimed too low. They can and should be adjusted. I suspect that your accident had something to do with your current problem.

MGC
06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights?

Morrie

RedXC
06-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Here to go, DIY justing headlights.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/headlamp-adjustment.php

If aiming the headlight is still consider dim, suggest using a higher watt bulb or H.I.D lighting system.

MGC
06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks fror the instructions.

Morrie

Jack
06-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Morrie,

Do you have the xenon's? If so you may need a software adjustment, though the hardware adjustment may work. Do a search of the site (and maybe Swedespeed too) for headlight aim issues. I seem to remember that some folks experience the auto leveling on the xenons pointing full down after headlight replacement.

chief88
06-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Just an additional question regarding the "aiming" of the headlights. I have a 2002 XC and my headlights are aimed too high. I have found and tried the adjustment 'knob", but my problem is that only one side is working (actually adjusting the projection). The drivers side adjustment works as intended, but the passenger side doesn't move up/down, side/side. It appears as though the adjustment knob isn't engaging anything and just spins. Any suggestions on what to look at/for next. I know that the headlights are a complete unit and VERY expensive to replace - but is there anyway to look/check the internals OR possibly get the entire unit to aim lower?

Clappernicus
10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Red XC, Thanks for posting the photos of the headlight adjusting knobs. You mentioned that one was for X-axis and the other for Y-axis. Well, when I turn the bigger knob (for Y-axis), the other knob on top turns a well. They seem to be connected. SAdly, I can turn it a full 360 and notice almost no change. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Joshua

John@CdnRockies
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Morrie, bear in mind that the headlight adjustments are also controlled by Vadis settings. Your manual adjustment will probably do the trick (it did for me with the Xenons). Assuming it fixes the situation, avoid major Vadis refreshes as they again reset the beams lower! My beams were way too low for highway driving yet Volvo claimed they were in spec. The manual adjustment fixed my problem and has been fine for several years. I've had to reset them 3 times over the past 5 years due to Vadis refreshes, so I avoid that now.

John

Willy
10-03-2009, 01:20 AM
There is something strange with the procedure mentioned in the link by RedXC. The picture of the assembly
looks like one from the previous XC generation to me!
The headlamps in my MY2004 and, according to Vadis also for MY2003 have a different way of adjustment,
X and Y are each adjusted by a knob on the other side of the headlamp assembly, not by knobs located at
the same side. I have attached a pdf from Vadis, although it doesn't show the actual knobs, the arrows
clearly indicate their location. I also took two pictures, couldn't get both knobs in view on one.
The procedure(s) don't explain how high or low to aim the beams, but good ones can easily be found on the
web (I have them down 1cm per meter as measured from the height of the bulb to the ground)
Willy

chesterhooper
10-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Can the automatic HID leveling headlights on a 2010 XC 70 be adjusted? I hit a deer last summer and had the car repaired. The headlights were replaced but are now aimed too low. I can only see about 2 car lengths ahead with the low beams.

JRL
10-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Probably
The earlier ones were.
On the earlier (P2) cars there is a 6mm adjustment hex nut thru a hole on each side of the radiator support right over the headlight
If these have the same deal, look for the hole, about 2" down inside you will see a white hex nut.
On the P2s it was a 6mm, you will need an 6" extension. They're height adjusted this way

alcraig
01-27-2012, 03:18 AM
JRL,
Do the two 6mm plastic hex nuts adjust the entire headlight assembly or just the mounting of the H7 bulb? If the latter, how does one adjust the entire assembly so the high beams are correct. My high beams are too high and low beams are too low.
Thanks
Al

JRL
01-27-2012, 05:40 AM
It adjusts both high or low beams up or down

alcraig
01-27-2012, 06:30 AM
So do you have any ideas as to why my low beams are too low and high beams are too high?
Al

JRL
01-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Not a clue

kcstar
03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Saved me money Sir!
Owners manual said a dealership had to perform the job.
You photos helped me do the job in less than 5 minutes
Use a 1/4 socket with an extension.
Turn right to rise
Turn left to lower
It is plastic so don't press the tension

Thanks
kcstar