PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying an 05

miket
06-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi all,

Wife needs a new car and decided she wants a V70. I am going to look at an 05 XC with 45k miles this week-end. Single owner, older lady, all service records, in great shape, according to the owner. Asking price is $21,500. Is there anything specific to this year that I should be looking at? What do you guys think about the price?

TIA.
Mike

philosophicaldreamer
06-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Hi all,

Wife needs a new car and decided she wants a V70. I am going to look at an 05 XC with 45k miles this week-end. Single owner, older lady, all service records, in great shape, according to the owner. Asking price is $21,500. Is there anything specific to this year that I should be looking at? What do you guys think about the price?

TIA.
Mike

I think it is a good price. As far as I can tell, by the time 2005 XC70 went to production Volvo has addressed most of the design and production shortcomings that plague earlier years. I believe you are getting a good car.

Ta-ta, j.

bbbuzzy
06-15-2007, 07:01 AM
While I've only owned it for 2 yrs and put about 19K miles on it so far, my '05 XC70 has been perfect. Not one problem to report so far.

Jacksonfam5
06-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Ditto re my 2005 XC70. Has been great so far. 39,000 kms and only regular scheduled maintenance. Initial warranty work for ill fitting door rubber seal and that was it. Mine has the DSTC and Four-C Active Chassis. Handles well with the Four-C (stiffens up suspension on hard corners etc.). It would be nice to know what options that 05 has. Sounds like a good price to me.:)

miket
06-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
These are the options the seller listed. Sounds like it has the winter package. I doubt it has DSTC, not very common at this latitude (central NJ). I will know more when I see it tomorrow.

#
Bronze exterior
#
Beige interior
#
AWD 4 wheel drive
#
4 doors
#
4 air bags
#
Built in booster seat
#
Side window defrosters
#
Power windows/locks/seats
#
Comfortable heated seats (front seats)

Puff The Magic Wagon!
06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
My MY05 has had a few issues, but it has done a lot of miles in its 2.5 yr life. Wheel bearings and rear hubs, a clutch slave cylinder and an ECU plus a couple of other minor things I've forgotten.

However, it has otherwise been very reliable and I drive it hard.

miket
06-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Wheel bearings, rear hubs, and clutch slave cylinder sound normal for a high mileage, hard-driven car. But ECU, ouch, that sounds expensive!

We looked at the car today and it checks good to my non-expert eye. I didn't see any leak or felt anything particularly wrong with it. We'll probably buy it. I didn't see any more option than the ones listed.

The owner says that she wanst to have the 45k miles service done at the deler before selling it. What does that entail? Just oil change or more?
Do you think it is advisable to have have it checked by an independent mechanic or should I trust the dealer to report any problem during the service?

We got tempted by a Audi allroad with higher mileage and lower price. Wife liked the slick interiors and the more sporty drive. Eventually I think we'll stick with the XC though. We got burned by a fragile VW turbo engine in the past already.

miket
06-16-2007, 11:26 PM
This a link to the actual car. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110135924866) It was on e-bay and didn't sell.

philosophicaldreamer
06-17-2007, 04:25 PM
The owner says that she wanst to have the 45k miles service done at the deler before selling it. What does that entail? Just oil change or more?
Do you think it is advisable to have have it checked by an independent mechanic or should I trust the dealer to report any problem during the service?

You indeed want to have an independent Volvo mechanic look at the car. He will find most of the problems. This might be the best $100 you will spend. Think of Reagan's advice: "Trust but verify."

Ta-ta, j.

Cross Current
06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
My O5 just met the 30K mile mark and I haven't had any issues with the vehicle. At 45K you certainly want a mechanic to take a look as some of the mechanicals incl brakes may soon need to be addressed. Good Luck.

miket
07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
just stopping by in to say that we bough it a couple of weeks ago. So far all good. Thanks all for the advises.