PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter housing stuck!

wwilme
06-12-2007, 01:53 PM
The mechanic who just did an oil change on our '01 could not get the filter housing off. He said he was afraid of breaking it and our good "freinds" at Annapolis Volvo did not have one in stock (go figure). So the old filter remains in place. Any one else had this happen? Should I just order one (not from the dealer) and just count on having to break the original to remove it? Any suggestions?

DYZ
06-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Same thing here. It was so tight that I broke the cap wrench I brought from FCP. A second wrench from FCP didn't work either. I ened up having to buy the OEM cap wrench ($45) to get the cap loose.

DYZ

dfuerst
06-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Yep, me three. It appeared that whoever serviced the car last blasted the cover back on with an impact gun. The cheapie wrench from IPD just popped and turned, didn't budge the cap. I wound up with the factory tool -- was, I believe, around $35, not too bad. The factory tool is *much* more substantial, and is worth the extra cost. It got the cap off no problem.

Darren

Aviator
06-13-2007, 02:23 PM
When you put the oil filter housing back on, just use two hands to tighten it up firmly. Make sure the threads are clean, lube the new O ring with a bit of oil, and then just tighten it up by hand......the same way as a normal canister type filter. That way you'll be able to get it back off with no problems. You'll be able to take it off by hand too, and won't need the tool.

Dave.

MoeB
06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Not sure what the factory filter wrench looks like but I bought this (http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=33039) wrench and am very satisfied with it. It's very stout and was about $18 to my door.