PDA

View Full Version : BMW interested in purchasing Volvo

dlr97
05-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Good news in my opinion if it happens.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070528/bs_nm/ford_volvo_dc_1;_ylt=AiNRgg4tNEsn6QPRc19MgOME1vAI)

RedXC
05-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Yea. I read that too. I was surprised Ford is willing to Sell Volvo. Being in the hands of BMW might improve the "mechanical" engineering.

Boarder
05-29-2007, 08:06 AM
This could be a good match.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2007-05-28T180351Z_01_L28363701_RTRUKOC_0_US-FORD-VOLVO.xml&src=nl_usbusinessclose

hd70
05-29-2007, 12:50 PM
From xc70- <2007 forum:
commercial truck line is still an independent Volvo company (always was).
Volvo sold only its passenger car part to Ford.
I don't think this merger will happen. Too many of the same models.
Only difference is front vs. rear wheel drive.
It also would be too costly for BMW to purchase Volvo just to eliminate a competitor. I don't see an advantage for BMW in this deal.
Oppinions ???

hd70
05-29-2007, 12:52 PM
It also would be too costly for BMW to purchase Volvo just to eliminate a competitor. I don't see an advantage for BMW in this deal.
Oppinions ???

philosophicaldreamer
05-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Let's hope that Volvo gets acquired by BMW or other European marquee. As to the idea that Volvo and BMW appeal to the same market, I would argue that it is not quite correct. Volvo is fundamentally a family oriented brand whereas BMW appeals more to those who like performance driving machines. I think that Volvo with its emphasis on safety and environment, and BMW with its emphasis on performance, would be quite complimentary purchase for the German car maker.

Boarder
05-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Oppinions ???

Just my opinion.

Volvo and BMW are both make great cars , but there is more to BMW than just RWD relative to Volvo. Volvo accually wins out on comfort (at least 5-Series vs XC70), but the BMW drive is so good.

It would only be to too costly for BMW if they pay too high a price to Ford. Volvo makes money and I believe has the third highest sales out of the Europeans in the North American market. At the right price it is just a matter of time return on investment. Plug in some platform sharing and you reduce the manufacturing/engineering costs.

I hope it happens.

XCSwedie
05-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Volvo would benefit from this bigtime (if it were to happen). BMW makes a lot of great motors that would work wel in Volvo applications (i.e 335, the I6s, V8s, etc.).

xc4life
05-29-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm happy about this.
Ford really crapped volvo out by "workmanship" quality
and that i really think that in general, in bimmer's hands, Volvo will become classified as a more "luxury" end car.

coastal
05-29-2007, 06:50 PM
The two threads (one in 2008+ XC70 and the other here, have now been merged (:D) and moved to Site Wide News, so disregard any discussion between the two threads as they're now one in the same.

Cheers!

Taylor

hd70
05-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Although the 335 (6 cyl twin turbo) is a great engine, but the "bimmersite" already posted that several cars are stranded with faulty fuel pumps.
.... I think it doesn't make a difference anymore what car you buy, you just have to be lucky....

BillAileo
05-30-2007, 10:54 AM
According to today's Wall Street Journal, Ford denies any talks are underway with BMW about Volvo.

Bill

tgrumaj
05-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Ford has not done well by Volvo..the handling of the ETM fiasco is an example. Bottom line is I think BMW is a more customer focused company and would be a better fit for Volvo in both the short term for image and longer term around engineering. I hope it can be pulled off. Time Ford got out of the picture.

BillAileo
05-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I am no Ford fan but some context is necessary in regard to the ETM issue. I suspect Ford has little or no substantive responsibility for that mess. It is clear the defective ETM was made a Volvo component before Ford acquired Volvo. Despite all the negative assumptions about Ford's role, I have never seen anything specific indicating what, if any, role Ford had in deciding how Volvo would react to ETM the problem.

Bill

XCSwedie
05-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Bottom line is I think BMW is a more customer focused company

I have had BMWs for a while and agree about the customer service thing. BMW service has improved 200% in the last 10 years (also reliability). IMO they are now near Lexus customer-service wise and surpassing domestic reliability (my first year 04 645 has been flawless).

griso4r
06-02-2007, 01:27 AM
it could be a similar strategy to the one adopted by VW and Audi. volvo the brand adressed to families requiring reliability and safety (using the current image of volvo) adopting not the latest status of the art of bmw engines but always the former version of the diesel and regular units.bmw = sport brand always with the latest versions of the bavarian technology and with higher prices. this is the theory, but in real life this merge i think should be extrtemely expensive considering the purchasing price and all the costs to adapt volvo models to the bmw requirements, for example rear traction.
i don't think this merge would happen, more possible a synergy with toyota
ciao

xc4life
06-19-2007, 09:41 PM
makes sense

Tyrant11429
06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Would be nice if some one had to buy out volvo would be bmw rather than american car makers

mynameismud
07-16-2007, 01:14 PM
http://www.forbes.com/markets/currencies/2007/07/16/volvo-ford-denial-markets-equity-cx_vr_0716markets08.html

blink
08-03-2007, 07:39 PM
personally, it might be advantageous for both.... two heads are better than one as they say... both have great concepts.... one can be an asset for the other and vice-versa... they could share notes and might come up with great ideas... inevitable cars... wuhooo.... that would be great....:cool:

griso4r
08-08-2007, 11:31 PM
fyi: latest news saying there is a group of swedish investors ready to take the majority in volvo. remains the interest of bmw and psa group. alan mulally said that decisions about the future of volvo will be taken within the end of the year, the destiny of the brand is anyway separate from jaguar and land rover.
ciao