PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter change

Willy
05-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Hello,
Yesterday, while changing the engine oil, I also replaced the filter.
To have a better feel if the plastic housing threaded correctly in, I didn't place the new cartridge in it,
but pushed it up onto the suction stack first (so there is less resistance while threading in the canister).
Only afterwards did I start to doubt if this was a smart thing to do, there is a small stud in the bottom of
the housing, I now wonder if it is possible that the filter is misaligned at the bottom and if the stud
could have damaged the filter.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Willy

MoeB
05-28-2007, 02:29 AM
I haven't tried it that way but I think you are OK, Willy. If the filter had gotten misaligned, it seems like you would have felt a lot of resistance and heard a crunching sound as you tightened it. The edges of the holes in the ends of the filter are slightly chamferred to help guide the filter onto the nipple on the filter mount. I assume it would similarly guide the filter onto the stud in the bottom of the casing.

If I recall correctly, the bowl shaped bottom of the casing doesn't leave much room for the filter to get misaligned anyway. I have to change my oil today, so I will check this out and let you know for sure.

Willy
05-28-2007, 05:56 AM
Hello,
You are certainly right about the space at the bottom of the canister, I just put the old filter
in the wrench for the housing, and even then there is not much room left sideways of he filter.
Also, looking at the hole of the filter, it is made of metal sheet, so the insert will probably not
get much chance to get misaligned when pushed upwards.
But You know how it goes, once you start to doubt ... :o
Willy

MoeB
05-28-2007, 04:48 PM
OK, looked at the wiggle room on the filter when I changed mine today. In a nutshell, there's no way for the filter to get misaligned regardless of whether you push it onto the filter mount or into the canister.

BTW, what brand of filter are you using that has metal ends? The Volvo and Mahle filters over here are this resin-looking stuff.

Willy
05-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks, this is the answer I was hoping for :D
I must have confused you with my unclear explanation, I meant that the inside wall of the filter
is made of sheet metal, not the upper or lower "flanges". That was from memory, I just checked, the inside
wall is (slotted) plastic. I use Volvo inserts.
Willy