PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Oil Change

KCsXC
05-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Hello All. Does anyone know the secret to changing the rear axle oil. I have completed changing the angle gear oil and figured that the rear axle should be done as well. I removed the fill plug however could not get a hose in to suck out the fluid. I tried as small as 1/4" tubing and still will not go in. It looks like there is something in the way blocking. I thought that the plug may be just to fill but I could not easily locate a drain plug.

Has anyone encounted this problem?

Thanks in advance, KC

jbl
05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Theres no drain plug on it. I have changed the fluid in my XC70 MY 2003. I cant remember exactly the dimention of tubing but around 4-5mm in outer diameter. This is slightly less than 1/4". The tubing im using is not so soft but it is plastic.

You need to steer tubing left and down to be able to reach the fluid. Its not much of space but it is doable.

Hope this info help you out.

KCsXC
05-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks jbl. I will buy some smaller diameter tubing and try again. I will re-post with my findings.

Thanks again, KC

KCsXC
06-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Hi all and thanks again jbl. I bought some generic tubing from the local hardware store. It was still 1/4" however was softer than the previous 1/4" tubing that I was attempting to use. jbl was right that there is a sweet spot that will allow a flexible line to be pushed down into the axle housing. My first attempt I only sucked out around 500 ml so I pulled the tubing out and re fished it into the axle and was able to suck out an additional 250 ml which is close to the capacity. I re filled with Volvo axle fluid used a new copper gasket on the fill bolt and the entire job was complete in 30 minutes.
The oil was extremely dirty, I have 135000 kms on the car and wished I would have done the rear axle oil change earlier. I recommend to everyone with higher mileage on there XCs and were told it is a "lifetime" fluid to have it changed along with the bevel gear oil.

Take care all.