PDA

View Full Version : 2003 xc70- 1 day new (to us) needs starter already

kat_like
05-25-2007, 07:28 AM
hey, this is my first time posting on this forum, so please excuse me if any of this has been covered before.

My husband purchased a used 2003 xc70 with 100,000km on Wed. Took it for the first drive over 20km on thursday, and it wouldnt start up after that.

Had it towed home, woke up this morning after calling Volvo who suggested a possible key malfunction, tried our second key and it started no problem.

My husband just took it to a local repair shop and once again, it wouldnt start up.

Mechanic said without a doubt, its in need of a new starter.
Called the dealer we bought it from and he said he'd make some calls.
for now, the "new" car, sits in our driveway.

Anyone else have any experience like this? We are hoping upon all hopes that this isnt the beginning of a long road of problems with this car.

any advise/help/comments appreciated.

jbl
05-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi Kat like,

This problem you have with bad starter is not a common fault. A more common fault regarding starter is a cable connection that get bad connection and car will not engage the starter. Its a connection without any locking nut. The fix is to make sure this cable shoe gets more tension to its connection point.

If starter needs to be replaced its just badluck. They normally lives much longer.

Im Swedish and have some problems to find the right word so i hope this gives you a hint.

Willy
05-29-2007, 11:32 AM
That sounds like a good advice. If the connection turns out to be loose, I may also be a good idea to make
sure the shoe is clean in order to provide good electrical contact.
Willy

tgwillard
05-30-2007, 05:50 AM
I would check that connection before installing a new starter.

mbsl98
05-31-2007, 07:08 AM
I'd second the idea of checking further. Volvo starters ar extremely reliable. I have never replaced one with our eleven Volvo's (with up to 256k on highest). There are known issues that can develop with the ignition key area, particularly the electronic part of the key switch, and the fact that it started better with the other key would suggest something in that area if the simplest things (bad connections) don't prove the answer.

JRL
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
A starter motor doesn't usually "die, just like that" and not a common problem
Look elsewhere.
Check the cable connections, the positive cable itself and the ignition key, those DO go bad

Its the wifes
05-31-2007, 07:31 PM
A starter motor doesn't usually "die, just like that" and not a common problem
Look elsewhere.
Check the cable connections, the positive cable itself and the ignition key, those DO go bad

Test the battery as well.