PDA

View Full Version : 3 of 5 stars by Auto Express

XCelerate
05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/208672/volvo_xc70.html

A first impression based on a test drive in a pre-production car.
Not altogether positive (D5 lacks refinement).

--------------------------------
This next-generation Volvo XC70 is worth a look for family buyers who need an extra dose of versatility
By Chris Thorp

It's not just down to the V70 to remind buyers why estate cars are so special - which is why Volvo has built a rugged XC70 version, too.

"Despite the new XC70's mud-plugging credentials, it doesn't look as rugged as its predecessor. With less black plastic trim at the front and a sleeker look all round, the new model has a more stylish but less chunky appearance"

Taking on Audi's A6 Allroad, the rough-terrain Volvo isn't a full-blown off-roader, but it's still surprisingly capable. The firm's own research suggests more XC70 models tackle mud than the bigger XC90s, so four-wheel drive is standard on all versions. What's more, approach angles and ground clearance have improved to offer even more go-anywhere ability.

Despite the new XC70's mud-plugging credentials, it doesn't look as rugged as its predecessor. With less black plastic trim at the front and a sleeker look all round, the new model has a more stylish but less chunky appearance.

Climb inside, and the XC70 is just as practical as the V70. Like the outgoing model, high-spec versions get over-sized stitching with leather trim, adding to the durable feel.

On the tarmac, the allroad model drives very much like the V70, but has a softer set-up. There's more body roll when cornering, but the ride quality is even smoother. However, our prototypes had a lack of feel through the over-assisted steering - the company insists this will be improved for production models. Buyers will get to choose between a 3.2-litre petrol engine or 2.4-litre D5 diesel power. It's the oil-burner that will be the bigger seller, thanks to 38.7mpg economy, bettering the petrol by nearly 14mpg. However, in the prototype, the powerplant lacked refinement at all speeds. Providing a flavour of both SUV and estate-car motoring, the XC70 still offers a fabulous mix of off-road ability and traditional practicality.

griso4r
05-23-2007, 11:33 PM
quite a superficial judgement, so 3 out of 5 because of the steering? i didn't see any other major critical aspect underlined.
let's wait for a deeper analisys.
ciao

XCelerate
05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Found this link on the Volvo-Forum.nl:

http://www.autozine.nl/text/538.html

Would the car in the pictures be in the color "Electric Silver"?

Mats
05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
From the optic point of view it looks good!!
I was visiting plant in Gothenburg yesterday and the XC70 was lined up beautyfully. In all different colours and packages.
It looks much better in reality than on a picture.
The first car s will be delivered to sales as showcars very soon.

DucVDuc
06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
In Australia the 2001-2007 model only ever got OK reviews due to it not being a "drivers car". Sheese, I mean if I wanted a drivers car I'd be looking at sports cars not estates. What the XC70 did incrediably well was be an ideal estate; haul around a truck-load of gear in first class comfort and safety. Actually the downside of it had NOTHING to do with what the magazines criticised, it's downside is its running costs (repairs).

This makes me sceptical of car reviews, the car reviewers are all sports car nuts and seem to rate all cars against a 911.