PDA

View Full Version : VC Failure

Bluegrass-XC
05-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Well - I now belong to the "Failed VC Club". When I left work yesterday I put the shifter into "D" and immediately heard AND felt a very loud and distinct 'CLUNK'. :eek: I pulled out about 50 feet and I could hear and feel a slight "thump thump thump", so I parked it and looked under the car to see if I was dragging anything or if any fluids were leaking out. Nothing on both counts, so I drove a little further in the parking lot and the "thumps" went away, soon to be replaced by a high pitched "whine" with an accompanying metallic grinding / metal-on-metal meshing sound. I parked it and called a wrecker. [cussing]

My indie called this morning and gave me the bad news. A rebuilt VC will run just under $3K. OUCH! Sometimes I wish I didn't love this car so much. [nonono]

skibo
05-18-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm guessing VC = Viscous Coupling.

Have you considered just leaving it out and having just front wheel drive? Depending upon how you use your car that might be a reasonable choice.

tgrumaj
05-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Bluegrass, as one former Kentuckian to another, given you're living in FL and given the cost vs. value of your car, a $3k investment for AWD really seems a waste of money from my perspective. I'd convert to FWD and enjoy the car and put the money back into a downpayment on a newer model XC. With all the other possible costs and expenses of running this car that would be one I'd pass on.

Bluegrass-XC
05-18-2007, 07:54 PM
OOPS - Sorry about that folks. I really meant to post this in the 1997 - 2000 forum.

Taylor - feel free to move it at your discretion. :o

Yes, VC = Viscous Coupling. The thought of forking over all that money for a new one is NOT very appealing, but with the sudden downpours here and the occasional dirt (sand) road, I kinda like everything the AWD brings to the plate. It's that "piece of mind" thing again. Since I've already put the ball in motion, I might as well see it through. It just may increase the resale value a bit, too.

tgrumaj
05-19-2007, 12:50 PM
This issue is the same regardless of model year. VC failure on pre Haladex XCs is common and the decision to FWD or repair is the same. I know some things really matter on a 1st Gen vs 2nd gen but others really are common to both. Hope you get it resolved without spending a fortune.

Jorge-789995
05-23-2007, 05:13 PM
VC failure on pre Haladex XCs is common and the decision to FWD or repair is the same.

I don't think this is true. It is NOT common, or else we would have people complaining about it all the time. It is a rare occurrence at best.

Bluegrass-XC
05-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Maybe a poll can be started to see what model year has had the most failures, unless of course it's alrready been and I missed it.

tgrumaj
05-24-2007, 06:28 PM
All I can say is if this site is any indication VC failures rank right up there in first gen and early second gen XC. I say it's 1) ETM failure then 2) ABS Module failure followed by 3) VC failure as most frequent discussed topics. At least the ETM got Volvo's attention after a hurricane of bad press and work from some key members of this board and the ABS module can be repaired at a reasonable cost (not by Volvo) but the VC is a huge expense...most say around 3,000. Frequency may not be as high as 1 and 2 but serverity is much greater.

RobC
05-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Tgrumaj,

For first gen xc's, you may also want to include tranny failures. I personally had mine replaced at about 60K (under extended warranty-Thank God!) and this seems to be a wide scope issue with earlier models.

Rob C
2001 V70 XC

Jorge-789995
05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
I disagree with your statement that the VC failure rate is so high on second gen XC's. I've been reading this site for over 4 years, and I can't recall a single report of a VC failure. That is why this post caught my eye... and it turned out to be a failure on a first gen car posted in the wrong section. I could have missed one here or there, but there is no way that I missed as many as you claim have failed. Show me the posts where a member has had the VC fail on their car, not where a friend's uncle's neighbor had the VC shred for no apparent reason. Facts please.

The following is a short list of components that get a lot of discussion and are well known to anyone that reads list site with regularity. Actual reports of VC failure is not one of them.

Inner tie rod ends
frequent headlight failure
Sway bar end links
dash board cup holder
brake sender unit causing cruise control to be inop
upper motor mount
2-3 tranny flare
ETM
rear wheel bearings

There is a lot of talk about the VC, but very few reports of failures. Usually those that claim the high VC failure rate are driving an 03+ haldex equipped model and have no experience with the VC. I suspect this impression came from the sales people in the showroom going on and on about how the Haldex is a much improved AWD. I drive an 02 with a VC and I will be the first to admit to the group IF it fails. Additionally, there is really very little evidence to support that the VC is any more sensitive to tire diameter differences than the haldex.

This site is a magnet for both XC enthusiasts and disgruntled owners looking for info on their recently diagnosed repair bill. As you've stated, the VC repair bill would be high.-- High enough to drive people to this site seeking info. Look at how many first time posters we had when the ETM's were being diagnosed. We had folks with forum names like "first and last Volvo EVER!" and "Never again Volvo" because there were so angry at their high repair bill. That sort of thing has not happened due to VC failures.

If I'm wrong, prove it and I will retract my statement.

tgrumaj
05-31-2007, 07:33 PM
I'll let Bluegrass's problem start the list

2) First I replaced a broken right (passenger) motor mount. It helped by eliminating motor movement that I hadn't really noticed before (makes the engine smoother-at least in the engine bay). I also replaced the viscous coupling to eliminate the pinging/snapping sounds.

3) My '99 XC is back in the shop for driveline vibration. It all started with a vibration/pinging ratcheting sound that turned out to be a bad viscous coupling at the front of the drive shaft. (Rubber grease seals failed leading to failure of the coupling).

4) It finally rained in SoCal a couple weeks back. When I was driving my wife's car, I noticed the front tires spinning around corners. I took it to the dealer to get checked out and it turns out the angle gear and sleeve that go into the transmission are shot. I've got 52K on the odometer. We'll see how Volvo stands behind their product.

5) I think my best course of action is to disconnect the drive shaft and make my 2000 XC-SE into a FWD car, as others have done. Even though the AWD is nice on snow and ice here in Wyoming, I just don't think it's worth it to have another angle gear and drive shaft failure.

Just a quick check got these..I put all of the following into the same category as part of the AWD system as far as problems go..."Angle Gear, aka Bevel Gear, aka VC , aka Vicous Coupling, and aka AWD system"

shawn_75
05-31-2007, 07:50 PM
..."Angle Gear, aka Bevel Gear, aka VC , aka Vicous Coupling, and aka AWD system"

The angle gear and viscous coupling are two wholly different pieces of equipment.

Jorge-789995
05-31-2007, 10:37 PM
The first line of my post specifically mentioned the second generation XC. I do not read the first Gen. side of this site because I don't own one. I drive an 02 second generation XC, so I only read them. Like I said... "I disagree with your statement that the VC failure rate is so high on second gen XC's."

Taking them in order...
1. Not a second generation XC
2. Not a second generation XC, AND the replacement didn't seem to fix the issue because 5000 miles later, the symptom was back
3. Not a second generation XC
4. Not an XC with a VC. That post refers to an 03 which has a haldex AWD.
5. Not a second generation XC AND not a VC failure.

Even if I do expand this to include the older XC's and allow 2 maybe 3 of the 5 you presented, I still maintain that the VC failure is not common. If it were common, we'd hear about them all the time. Very few members would be silent about a $2000-$3000 repair bill.

clemstock
06-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Just thought I'd throw in my 2-cents. I have a 02 with 111,000 miles. When I first started checking this forum and became very worried about possible VC failure or trans failure. I bought mine used but I have all maintainence records from the orginal owner who did everything by the book. I concluded that if you keep you tires in good shape and take care of all the fluids as recommended in this forum, then you are probably not going to run into the aforementioned issues. I did a drain and fill (x3) of the trans at 100k. I don't get any slippage but I will get a clunk if I have driven, then idle in park for a while, then put it into Drive. I think I may do a flush sometime this summer, or drain and fill (x3) again since its only been 11k miles since the last time. Hope to see 200k with this car.

XCSwedie
06-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't get any slippage but I will get a clunk if I have driven, then idle in park for a while, then put it into Drive.

Stop-neutral enabled?

tgrumaj
06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
i have been referring to 98 to 2002 xcs with VC AWD. I believe this entire conversation started with Bluegrass's 2000 first gen and that was what I was referring to in my post. I have yet to see anything about second gen post 2002 Haldex. Shawn, I'm aware they are differnt pieces of equipment but I was under the impression both were part of the engineering around transfer of the drive power from front to rear wheels as part of the overall AWD system. It's that system within first gen and early second gen that our conversation is regarding.
Tom

Greybeard
12-19-2007, 06:18 AM
I was reading through old threads about disconnecting the AWD on 1st Gen XC's and found this one. Tgrumaj, did you disconnect the driveshaft on your 99 XC? If so, did you have any problems? I have a 2000 XC-SE and I want to disconnect mine this weekend, but I'm looking for success stories. BTW I live in Wyoming too, but I've gotten around in FWD cars before just fine, so the AWD will only be slightly missed. The $3000 repair bill for another angle gear will not be missed.
Thanks. Greybeard

dubdash_rallye
12-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Is it true that you can simply pull a fuse and be FWD only? No need to pull a driveshaft or anything?

How important is it to get Stop/nuetral disabled?

I called the dealer and they wanted the famous $200.

Wonder if an inde mechanic would be any less, considering they have VADIS.

JRL
12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Is it true that you can simply pull a fuse and be FWD only? No need to pull a driveshaft or anything?

In the later Haldex cars yes, but why?

How important is it to get Stop/nuetral disabled?

VERY

I called the dealer and they wanted the famous $200.

Too much

Wonder if an inde mechanic would be any less, considering they have VADIS.

All this is, is downloading the newest software, software is 40 bucks and it takes about 10 minutes so you figure it out.
The indy would have to have a subscription to VIDA/VADIS

g4hlr
07-05-2008, 05:32 AM
I disagree with your statement that the VC failure rate is so high on second gen XC's. I've been reading this site for over 4 years, and I can't recall a single report of a VC failure.

I have just been informed by the local main stealer that my rear wheel drive has failed. Told me the cost of replacement and after I had received resuscitation, (no extra charge!), went on to say that..."we have several XC AWD owners who have had this failure and are happily driving around on just front wheel drive having elected not to replace the rear drive system". This would imply that it is a fairly common problem! Didn't elaborate as to exactly what part was faulty....would need to strip it out sir first, but, it's probably a complete replacement system.

I asked about any further damage due to just being on front wheel drive and he said it would be fine. I have emailed Volvo for their comments but as yet have received no reply. For those who like the details....vehicle is under 5 years old, less than 50k and has been fully serviced...AND yes I do know about the tires and they are correct in all respects. So, now that I have little or no confidence in any expensive repair lasting any longer than say 50k, why bother? For what it's worth the stealer did say their sales guys had been caught out when trading second hand. Seems they only real way to tell, (apart from being stuck in the sh1t!), is on a rolling road. It's now standard proceedure for their sales guys with all AWD models on a trade-in. Now if that isn't saying it's a common problem and Volvo don't know about it what is?:

g4hlr
07-05-2008, 05:35 AM
I disagree with your statement that the VC failure rate is so high on second gen XC's. I've been reading this site for over 4 years, and I can't recall a single report of a VC failure.

I have just been informed by the local main stealer that my rear wheel drive has failed. Told me the cost of replacement and after I had received resuscitation, (no extra charge!), went on to say that..."we have several XC AWD owners who have had this failure and are happily driving around on just front wheel drive having elected not to replace the rear drive system". This would imply that it is a fairly common problem! Didn't elaborate as to exactly what part was faulty....would need to strip it out first Sir, but, it's probably a complete replacement system.

I asked about any further damage due to just being on front wheel drive and he said it would be fine. I have emailed Volvo for their comments but as yet have received no reply. For those who like the details....vehicle is under 5 years old, less than 50k and has been fully serviced...AND yes I do know about the tires and they are correct in all respects. So, now that I have little or no confidence in any expensive repair lasting any longer than say 50k, why bother? For what it's worth the stealer did say their sales guys had been caught out when trading second hand. Seems they only real way to tell, (apart from being stuck in the sh1t!), is on a rolling road. It's now standard proceedure for their sales guys with all AWD models on a trade-in. Now if that isn't saying it's a common problem and Volvo don't know about it what is?:

johnny c
07-05-2008, 06:38 AM
I have an 02 v70xc, does it a vc or a haldex, when exactly did they change, and is there any "preventative maintenance" for these???

gary
07-05-2008, 08:41 AM
I have an 02 v70xc, does it a vc or a haldex, when exactly did they change, and is there any "preventative maintenance" for these???

It's my understanding that the Haldex AWD system was introduced with the 2003 model year. This is also the same year that they rebadged the V70XC to the XC70. So, assuming you have a "V70XC", I'd say it likely has the "VC" AWD system. I don't know much about the VC system in terms of maintenance, but I know one of the things recommended is to ensure all four tires are wearing evenly in terms of tread depth, etc. Getting these "out of whack" can damage the system. I know there is a lot of info on the forum about the VC system -- have you tried the search function? If not, search on "viscous coupling".