PDA

View Full Version : My XC has eventually gone shorter ???

doublecheese
05-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Yesterday I went to Volvo Service to have my right side mirror replaced.

While I was at the garage the service guys brought a brand new 2007 XC70 Diesel, it was going to be tested for the last time before delivered to new owner. (also the new buyer ordered a Ipod Adaptor so they were fixing the new Ipod adaptor.)

So this brand new XC70 and mine were standing just next to each other, I realised that the brand new XC is atleast 7-8cm (3.15" inch) taller than mine..... NOW, how is that possible ??

Both mine and the 2007 model should be 156,2cm (61,51inch) in height, we both have the same dimensioned wheels and tires.

BTW, my trunk was empty, so there is no extra weight to lower my car..

I performed some measurements, can you guys confirm if your heights are same as mine or are they different. Please try this on a flat surface.

What are your opinion on this ? Could it be that my Springs need a replacement ?? Or maybe should I replace my shock absorvers, or should I replace both ??

See the pictures ,

Front Wheel 74,5cm (29,33")
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2073/dsc05617vt6.jpg

Back Wheel 73,4cm (28,89")
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3452/dsc05618ai3.jpg

You can see on the meter 156,2cm, this should be my correct riding height
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5548/dsc05619tc5.jpg

skibo
05-02-2007, 04:49 AM
That does seem like a big differance. Yours seems to be a little lower than spec (which might make sense, if the springs have relaxed a bit). But that doesnt' account for the whole difference. Did you measure the '07, or were you just going by eye?

doublecheese
05-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Well because I didn't have any measurement tools, I measured both XC's by marking their heights against my body :) from the same point on both XC's . The '07 XC was clearly taller on my chest line... and the diffrence was like 7-8cm.

Please guys try to measure the distance from the ground to the point that was shown on my pictures, let's compare all XC's on this forum ...

Then after seeing everyone's results we can easly make some assumptions :)

doublecheese
05-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Here is a new picture,

The metal tube shows the correct 156,2mm height for the XC, you can see the difference in height... :((

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1132/dsc05624sl1.jpg

dlr97
05-02-2007, 08:28 AM
My 2004 XC70 with 35,000 miles, standard (non-Nivomat) dampers:
Front 75 cm
Rear 77 cm
Both measurements at top of wheel openings.
Tank is 1/2 full, nothing heavy in the car, 215/65-16 tires with 36 psi inflation.

doublecheese
05-02-2007, 11:47 AM
My 2004 XC70 with 35,000 miles, standard (non-Nivomat) dampers:
Front 75 cm
Rear 77 cm
Both measurements at top of wheel openings.
Tank is 1/2 full, nothing heavy in the car, 215/65-16 tires with 36 psi inflation.

Wow thanks for the reply, your car's higher than mine for sure, I also realised that back of your car is higher than your front. I guess this should be the way that it should be anyway, isn't it

Any more measurements guys ? I will collect all info into an Excel sheet to make a comparision chart at the end. So everybody can compare.

wgriswold
05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Here are my measurements from floor to wheel well trim. Tire size is 215/65 R16.

Left front = 73.5
right front = 74.0
left rear = 74.0
right rear = 74.5

The measurements are probably +/- 0.5 cm.

RedXC
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Maybe the new car's springs are not broken in yet.

doublecheese
05-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Yes it's a possibility and I thought about that too.

However at the end my car is still lower than the correct 156,2mm height that it should be.

It feeled to me like I was driving a little higher than other cars around recently, but now it looks like I'm driving at the same height as other make car drivers.

Normally a Subaru Forester should be an inch taller than the XC, however when I'm next to my brother's Forester his car looks much higher than an inch.

Acid_lt
05-03-2007, 07:15 AM
2005 XC70 2.5T both front and rear at 75.5-76 cm. 215/65 r16 scorp ~40% tread.

Coutainville
05-04-2007, 01:21 AM
DC,

Front: 75cm
Rear 76cm
Overall 156cm
25% Diesel Tank Full

Cheers

Its the wifes
05-05-2007, 03:24 AM
All springs settle after some miles/weight has been put on the car.

doublecheese
05-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys,

I am at Spain for a business trip right now and as soon as I return home, I will prepare an excel sheet to compare everyone's car height measurements.

Any more feed back from the guys who didn't measure their cars's height yet ?

griso4r
05-08-2007, 12:08 AM
my '06 d5 is 156,5 left and right (mm more or less ).
ciao

doublecheese
05-08-2007, 01:19 AM
my '06 d5 is 156,5 left and right (mm more or less ).
ciao

One question guys , where do you measure your car's height (156,2cm) from.

Is it from the top of the car or is it from the top of the roof rails ? I guess it should be measured from the top of the roof rails isn't it ?

Coutainville
05-09-2007, 01:02 AM
DC,

Up to the top of the roof rails...

Cheers

ashpee
05-09-2007, 03:39 AM
hi all,

I'll do the measurement too, 'cause I also have placed my 2001 next to a 2004 in the past and mine had (has) a sagging rear, the other one looked more viril with its tail up. Never had any reference up until now.

Only springs could make real difference (either wear or original spec)+ presence and wear of Nivomat. Regular shocks don't make all that difference in ride height.

Be back soon
Hans

ashpee
05-10-2007, 03:15 AM
measuring distance ground-wheel arch:

front 74.5cm
rear 74.5cm

roof rails removed, so can't do the comparison

doublecheese
05-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Here is the comparision chart that I mentioned.

It looks like, as XC's get older they also get shorter on their height. I was going to add this below file as an excel file but the forum won't let me upload EXCEL files, so I'm posting a screen shot instead. If anybody want the excel file sent seperatly PM me.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/7962/clip10customuy8.jpg

First thing next week I'm off to garage and have my springs replaced, just recently I came right next to another XC70 and I suddenly thought it was a XC90 as it was clearly taller than me :) :)

MTBGuy
05-14-2007, 06:50 AM
When making your measurements, you should consider the weight of a tank of gas. A full tank weighs somewhere more than 100 lbs more than an empty tank.

dlr97
05-14-2007, 08:37 AM
My car is the tallest at the rear wheel arch, and I had 1/2 tank of fuel. I also always carry about 15 lb of emergency gear and tools in the spare tire area.

doublecheese
05-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Ok guys here is the question now :

my car is 2001 V70XC , I told the Volvo Garage that I want to have my Front and Rear springs replaced .

I'm hoping that, by changing these springs my XC will regain the height it lost during these years.

Is my theory correct ? What do you guys recommend ? Would only replacing Springs damage my shocks ?

How do I know if my shocks are regular or nivomat ?

Some help would be appreciated :)

pico de luuks
05-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the nivomat accounts for (some of) the differences as the system gets charged when driving. Initially it will allow the rear to sit a bit lower depending on the additional weight.

If the springs and shocks test correct I wouldn't change them...

doublecheese
05-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the nivomat accounts for (some of) the differences as the system gets charged when driving. Initially it will allow the rear to sit a bit lower depending on the additional weight.

If the springs and shocks test correct I wouldn't change them...

When I look at my car from the side on a flat surface, the rear of the car seems lower than the front side. I was thinking that having a lower rear is not good for car's geometry.

BTW , how do I know if I have nivomats or not ?

Sasquatch
05-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Go sit on the bumper, then remeasure. Then do the same on the front bumper.

Then lift the front and rear in turn and remeasure again. The shocks/springs don't always sit in the same place. This was most likely the case if it was up on a lift (supported on body) with wheels/tires dangling down; therefore making it seem "taller" when it hadn't settled back down yet.

That said, it is funny seeing cm on a measuring tape instead of inches.

doublecheese
06-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Go sit on the bumper, then remeasure. Then do the same on the front bumper.

Then lift the front and rear in turn and remeasure again. The shocks/springs don't always sit in the same place. This was most likely the case if it was up on a lift (supported on body) with wheels/tires dangling down; therefore making it seem "taller" when it hadn't settled back down yet.

That said, it is funny seeing cm on a measuring tape instead of inches.

We'd feel the same way if we saw inches on a measuring tape :)

Well both cars weren't up on a lift, they were standing on their own.

Anyway just recently I saw another '06 or '07 XC70 parked on the road. The road was very straight and I stopped just next to the xc70, the first thing I could recognise was his side mirror looked higher than my side mirror. This clearly shows my XC is gone shorter :(

doublecheese
06-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Here is the proof :)

See the difference yourself. I happened to be at the garage again and they had a '03 XC70 there, I made them park that car next to mine and here are the results :

mine is clearly shorter , so I'm replacing my shocks and springs :(

P.S. Sorry about the picture quality, I had to use my cell phone as my camera wasn't with me at that moment.

Do you think my Towing bar and it's steel parts may be causing this problem ?

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5108/dsc00440dq4.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4796/dsc00450ty9.jpg

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7153/dsc00441ui6.jpg

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8076/dsc00449jv1.jpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3382/dsc00457nz5.jpg

Front the front not too much visible difference
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6668/dsc00443qa2.jpg

gregvet
06-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Unless it is a perspective thing, it almost seems like his tires are larger diameter than yours?

doublecheese
06-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Unless it is a perspective thing, it almost seems like his tires are larger diameter than yours?

;) Nope, all tires are same diameter , it's just my crappy Phone camera.

My car's shorter than all the XC's I see around anyway, BTW, they phoned me up from the Volvo Garage today, it seems that my NEW Springs and shocks have arrived :) When I have some spare time, I'll have them replaced , hopefully my XC will grow taller :)

doublecheese
08-22-2007, 07:10 AM
I have been away on summer holidays and now I'm back :)

Btw let me inform you about the Shocks and Springs replacement of my XC to make it taller as the other XC's around.

The replacement did not do anything , my car is still shorter than all the XC's I see around .

Here is a picture which was taken over the weekend . see the difference , my XC is still shorter than others.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8024/dsc011101pz1.jpg

While taking this picture I had almost no petrol in the tank this means my XC was at it's highest.

I'm still thinking that my TOW BAR is causing this height difference, but my Volvo Garage strongly suggests that a total weight of 25kgs (abt 50lbs) would never cause a 3-4 cm (1.5") difference on height.

What do you think ?? What's my solution ??

philosophicaldreamer
08-22-2007, 07:40 AM
They say that there are five stages of mourning: denial, anger, bargaining, depresssion, and acceptance. I would suggest that it is time to for acceptance:D No reason to drive yourself biserk over the hight of your XC.

Ta-ta, j.

doublecheese
08-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Hahahah
but imagine this , all XC70's pass by feels like they are XC90's passing by :) :) :) because of the height difference :) :)

I think rather than accepting this I'll endup buying th new XC70

philosophicaldreamer
08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Hahahah
but imagine this , all XC70's pass by feels like they are XC90's passing by :) :) :) because of the height difference :) :)

I think rather than accepting this I'll endup buying th new XC70

Wait at least a couple of years before you acquire a new XC70; give Volvo enough time to address most of the problems that new XC70s will inevitably have.

Ta-ta, j.

doublecheese
08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Last Sunday I was at IKEA and when I was walking to the parking lot I saw that by chance another XC70 parked just infront of me. Since I'm now obsessed with the height of my XC, I realised that the other XC looked taller than mine. However this time I realised for the first time my XC is also short on the front side. So my theory of the weight of the tow bar doesn't mean anything anymore.

I'm totally going nuts on this , I have contacted Volvo Sweden and Volvo Turkey about this matter I'm curious to hear what would they say to me as an answer.

If I finally know what is causing this height difference, then I'll be cool, but not knowing the answer really makes me go nuts !!!

see for yourself :) :(
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8292/reexposureofdsc01227lt9.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6819/dsc01203oc4.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6285/reexposureofdsc01212yo4.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7420/reexposureofdsc01228qf9.jpg

doublecheese
09-23-2007, 03:54 AM
Suprise Suprise !!

I was asking Volvo Turkey, why my XC would be shorter than others in height. I sent them all these pictures too. All I wanted to know was, what could be the causing this shortness.

Suddely this week I received an e-mail from them telling me that they evaluated the matter throughly and they decided that they will replace all my shocks and springs. They also informed that there are several types of springs and they will give me the one with most LIFTFORCE and STIFFNESS.

However, I was expecting an answer like, "as time goes by it's normal that your XC's height may be shorter", I was suprised to get such a reply from them,

So they called me yesterday from Volvo Garage, they said they had been informed by Volvo Turkey and they will be replacing all my shocks and springs, so I'm scheduled on Wednesday 26th.

I hope finally I'll solve this problem.... :) [thumbup]

MoeB
09-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow. That's what I call customer satisfaction.

dlr97
09-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Interesting! What may have happened: during assembly of the cars, the weight of each car is estimated based on the options selected (manual gearbox vs. auto trans, for instance). Several sets of springs are available with different spring rates, and a computer selects the appropriate set depending on the options installed. Somehow by accident some lower-rated springs were mixed with the supply of higher rate springs, and these lower rated springs were installed on your car during assembly.

doublecheese
09-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Interesting! What may have happened: during assembly of the cars, the weight of each car is estimated based on the options selected (manual gearbox vs. auto trans, for instance). Several sets of springs are available with different spring rates, and a computer selects the appropriate set depending on the options installed. Somehow by accident some lower-rated springs were mixed with the supply of higher rate springs, and these lower rated springs were installed on your car during assembly.

Wow I didn't know that !!
I guess my car should be the heaviest model as its got all mods installed into it including the removable tow hitch bar and automatic transmission with geartronic and etc etc.

What you're saying could exactly be the reason ..... Where were you when I was investigatiıng this problem over and over a few months ago :) :)

Anyway hopefully I will be a happy guy on Thursday. But this is really what I call customer satisfaction :) [thumbup] I only Asked Volvo Turkey what could cause this problem, and as a reply they told me they'd replace all my shocks and springs :) :)

Sasquatch
09-24-2007, 02:22 PM
I wonder if Volvo reads this forum.

ashpee
08-20-2010, 05:53 AM
What's next, Doublecheese?

Did it help, or were you exterminated by Volvo Intelligence Services:eek:

I was nearly in the acceptance stage, but now I drive a Passat for work, which can carry as much load and does that without moaning and most of all, without the rear being dragged over the asphalt...

The 74,5cm at the rear I measured, was with the LPG-tank in the back, but no load. This tank weighs ±70kg. This may not cause 3cm drop.

How much does a regular XC drop, with a 70kg person, dead or alive, in the luggage space?

Really curious whether you've reached your desired height now, Doublecheese! Are you the highest in town?:p

ashpee
09-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi,

as this remains one of the main issues I struggle with on our XC I definitely like to know how Doublecheese's quest ended.

Can you share it please?

Thx,
Hans

doublecheese
09-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Hi Hans

I live in Istanbul and I forwarded this subject to Volvo Turkey at that time.

They decided that I get a FREE suspension (coil spring) replace/change . So the springs were replaced but there was no too much difference. However they used the springs of the 2001 XC model.

Since the car did not go up too much I asked for a second change, this time we ordered the coils of the 2007 model XC .

But the end result was same, some how my car is never as high as a 2007XC

So our height problem remained unsolved eventhough Volvo Turkey replaced two sets of coil springs. All parts and labour was free of charge though !!!!!

I hope I could help you ....

ashpee
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the info .

Shame though that noone in the whole world could cure this.
Looking at your thumbnail it seems that you've chosen to step away from the XC, but as you still follow the forum, your heart seems to lay in Sweden still.

This whole chassis issue (bad handling, weak rear suspension and sagging...) without any solution since... spoils the car so badly it makes me desperate.

Sigh...

Hans

doublecheese
10-01-2010, 12:53 AM
I bought the XC for my wife ,as that time I had my own company car.

She still uses it and she`s very happy with the car. But nowadays her new favorite car is the XC60, maybe I might buy the new XC60 next year.

In 2008 I bought myself the new Pajero, as I go snowboarding almost everyweekend in the winter and I needed a more trustable and reliable friend than the XC with me everywhere I drive :)

Ok XC is good at snow but this car is perfect !!!

However I still love the 2001-2007XC , 2008 onwards I can`t get used to it.