PDA

View Full Version : Car cover-good or bad?

brider
05-01-2007, 06:55 AM
I've been covering my '03 XC70 with one of those light covers that just protects from sun, birds, and tree sap, but it's not the wateproof type. It's breathable, but passes moisture thru.

But is a cover like this ultimately detrimental to the finish? I try to keep a coat of wax on the car, but I'm not a fanatic, and the cover itself is constantly buffing the car when the slightest wind blows. I got back from vacation yesterday and the cover was half blown off from high wind.

What's the general consensus here?

littlewaywelt
05-01-2007, 07:14 AM
I think they are a plus in a garage if being stored to reduce dust accumulation, otherwise, don't bother. The dirt still gets through and then the cover can push the dirt around potentially causing abrasion.

John@CdnRockies
05-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I use one in a protected (from wind) area when I leave the car for several weeks at a time in our country place.The dirt gets through but tree sap and bird droppings do not. IN find that ultimately the latter tends to do the most damage to our paint finishes.

A side problem is that the cover gets dirty after a while and it takes an industrial washing machine to clean it thoroughly.

John

littlewaywelt
05-02-2007, 08:06 AM
excellent point.