PDA

View Full Version : Hide a key

luluna
04-25-2007, 07:36 AM
I am notorious for losing keys and have always hid a key on my vehicle but am at a loss as to where to do so on the XC. I can't find any metal near the bumper to get the magnetic holder to stick. Any suggestions?

bouvier
04-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I wonder if a magnetic holder will damage a "smart key"?

Bouvier

luluna
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I would use the "valet" key - just can't find metal on the underside (that isn't a muffler)

VWVespaVolvoinVA
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
You could screw or rivet a piece of ferrous metal to any surface, perhaps behind a bumper cover, then stick the hide-a-key to the metal. Definitely use the valet key, and leave no identification with it, just in case it falls off the car.

slowflyer
04-27-2007, 06:52 AM
I am leery of hide-a-keys as I figure the thief knows where to look for them but did use one for a while. (lucky for me, my new truck has a keypad)

However, recently I received a cordura key-hider included with my new roadside assistance package. It attaches with an industrial strength adhesive pad. You might find something like that.

If you have a 2 inch receiver hitch I saw a key-hider in some catalog that slid into the hitch. It was locked to the hitch with a receiver hitch lock and had a combination lock door for key access. The whole thing was hidden by a rubber receiver hitch cover.

littlewaywelt
04-27-2007, 10:29 AM
I am notorious for losing keys and have always hid a key on my vehicle but am at a loss as to where to do so on the XC. I can't find any metal near the bumper to get the magnetic holder to stick. Any suggestions?

I used to keep an extra key in the hollow space of the thule rack. The regular fob wouldn't work, but the valet key probably fits in there.

Maybe consider unscrewing the plate and taping it behind the plate?

wgriswold
04-27-2007, 11:31 AM
It is easy to attach a key to the car in the hole in the rear bumper that provides access for the tow eye ring. Protect the key in some way and wire it to the car and reinstall the cover.

holcomb19
04-30-2009, 12:35 AM
How to hide a key, effectively.

So, my house got broken into over the summer. Since then, we've been changing locks and such, until we got to a door with a huge window in it.
It's the door that goes outside to our firewood storage area, and we use it regularly. Only issue is, any lock we put on it can be opened by just breaking the glass, and putting your arm through.

We narrowed our options down to two, get a new door without glass, or a double locking deadbolt.

So, after hours of battling with the lock, one side one side working, and the other not, (Bought at home depot, figures) we had to make the tough decision about what to do with the key. We couldn't just leave it in, or put it anywhere close by. That would defeat the purpose.
We decided to disguise it. Read on for details, if the picture isn't enough.

________
Key Hider (http://tbotech.com/key-hider.htm)

Ozzie
04-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Keep the valet key in the glove box and your AAA card in your wallet. :D

Oz

wgriswold
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
AAA was my strategy with my 245 DL until the guy from AAA completely tore up the linkage and wiring inside the door with his slim jim. It took me most of an afternoon to take the door apart and fix the damage.

gregvet
04-30-2009, 10:56 AM

So, my house got broken into over the summer. Since then, we've been changing locks and such, until we got to a door with a huge window in it.
It's the door that goes outside to our firewood storage area, and we use it regularly. Only issue is, any lock we put on it can be opened by just breaking the glass, and putting your arm through.

We narrowed our options down to two, get a new door without glass, or a double locking deadbolt.

So, after hours of battling with the lock, one side one side working, and the other not, (Bought at home depot, figures) we had to make the tough decision about what to do with the key. We couldn't just leave it in, or put it anywhere close by. That would defeat the purpose.
We decided to disguise it. Read on for details, if the picture isn't enough.

________
Key Hider (http://tbotech.com/key-hider.htm)

This just reminded me. I use to have a similar key hider but shaped and colored like dog doo doo. I placed it near my entry way and had it there for several years. I wonder where it is now.....:confused:

Sasquatch
04-30-2009, 01:43 PM

It's the door that goes outside to our firewood storage area, and we use it regularly. Only issue is, any lock we put on it can be opened by just breaking the glass, ...

Here:
http://www.shattergard.com/home.html
http://www.americanwindowfilm.com/

Got these from: Tips on securing your home...... (http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52762)
[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

This just reminded me. I use to have a similar key hider but shaped and colored like dog doo doo. I placed it near my entry way and had it there for several years. I wonder where it is now.....:confused: Some dog probably ate it!

As far as hiding your key, how about screwing it in behind your license plate. Just be sure to use a straight screw which can be removed using a dime! [thumbup]