PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Locating the FM Antenna

lawrench
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I am attempting to install an XM radio in my XC70 and do not know where the antenna is located..... I really did not want to spend an additional 20-40 dollars on a FM Modulator.... It does not tell me in the manual where to locate the antenna and looking it up on the internet has been disheartening... Can someone please help me?

2003 XC70 2.5t
Climate package
premium package
:confused:

02Ocean224
03-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Look to the rear window directly over your gas cap. The defroster type element (I am told by the dealer) is the antenna.

Volvodad3
03-23-2007, 10:37 PM
The FM antenna is integrated into the rear side cargo area window. Not sure if it can be accessed before it gets to the harness of the head unit.

Could you elaborate more, because I am not sure I understand what your trying to do.

lawrench
03-24-2007, 07:29 AM
the reason I need to know the location of the antenna, is to connect the XM radio to the FM antenna so that you can transmit the XM signal through the FM antenna. This way, you do not have to replace the radio or tap into the wire harness... My XC70 has similar looking antenna's on both sides of the cargo area.... Are both active for FM or is one side for the OnCall option that is in my vehicle?:confused:

JRL
03-24-2007, 08:57 AM
the reason I need to know the location of the antenna, is to connect the XM radio to the FM antenna so that you can transmit the XM signal through the FM antenna. This way, you do not have to replace the radio or tap into the wire harness... My XC70 has similar looking antenna's on both sides of the cargo area.... Are both active for FM or is one side for the OnCall option that is in my vehicle?:confused:

You don't tap into the antenna you tap into the radio and TUNE to a specific frequency.
(simplified here)
It would be wise to read the installation manual

lawrench
03-24-2007, 10:39 AM
JRL,

I did read the manual, and you do tap into the antenna and not the radio.... What is going on is a small transmission from the XM to the FM side... this is how you are able to Wirelessly transmit your XM to a FM channel.... I do not want to add a FM modulator that requires an additional piece of equipment and pulling the antenna connection from the radio and plugging into the modulator, then plugging the modulator into the antenna spot...

slowflyer
03-25-2007, 08:11 PM
JRL,

. What is going on is a small transmission from the XM to the FM side... this is how you are able to Wirelessly transmit your XM to a FM channel....

I don't understand what you are asking. If XM is like Sirius, the XM radio transmits via a radio signal to the car's FM radio (that is wirelessly) There is no physical connection. If it performs anywhere near as bad as Sirius then the performance will be abysmal.

Other than the difficulty of removing the radio (and CCM) the FM modulator is an easy install -- just unplug the antenna from the headunit, put the modulator inline and you are done.

If this is not correct, please list your XM radio model and the Volvo headunit you are using.