PDA

View Full Version : HU-613 radio - steering wheel controls problem

markart
03-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I just replaced my failing HU-613 radio with another HU-613 purchased from seller who removed it from his new car. The replacement operates just fine from the radio controls but will not respond to the controls on the steering wheel. My old radio still responds properly to the controls so I know they are in working order. Everything on the replacement radio is identical to the old one - all connectors, etc.

Does anyone have any idea why the steering wheel controls aren't working? Is this radio faulty? Is there a reset that needs to be done? Are there different production versions of the HU-613 radio?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Aviator
03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
You might just need a software flash to get the new audio unit to handshake with the steering wheel. After all, the serial number is different and there may need to be an initialisation of the new unit.

Dave.

markart
03-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Can I do a "software flash" myself? Or is it something the dealer needs to do?

(By the way: the local dealer seemed to think there shouldn't be a problem supstituting the new radio, but they don't always know everything.)

Aviator
03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
That's a dealer only operation. Or, there may actually be something wrong with the connection to the wheel....that may also have been what caused the original unit to crap !! Coincidence, possibly, but one never knows !!

Dave

CWL2373
10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
My HU-613 radio started going crazy this summer and will suddenly start flipping through the pre-set stations all on its own. It does this randomly. Sometimes it will play just fine, then at other times it will start rolling through all of the pre-sets continually and there seems to be no way to stop it other than shutting off the radio. :eek:

Powering off and back up will not always stop the problem and it doesn't seem to be sparked by bumps in the road or anything I can detect.

Very odd! Any thoughts on my best bet, as far as replacing the radio with a used one, an aftermarket, or does the Volvo dealer offer refubished radios or a flat rate repair on my own?

Thanks in advance.

~Chad

UPDATE: Replacing the failed instrument pod with a brand new one resolved this problem with the radio.

tooberand
11-22-2010, 11:38 AM
My brother's radio on his V70 is doing the same thing. Does anyone know what exactly the instrument pod is? Is it the steering wheel controls and wires that run to the stereo?

Thanks.