PDA

View Full Version : Bevel gear oil question

psaboic
03-21-2007, 09:29 AM
All,

All the recent threads on the angle/bevel gear have made me realize it would probably be a good time to change the fluid in the wife's 01 since it has 62K on it and I doubt it was ever changed by the previous owner.

I've looked over the procedure in the resources section and it is pretty straightforward, but I want to know if we have to use a special "one of a kind" fluid like we do in our transmissions, or if I can simply use good old synthetic 75W90 geal oil?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

volvoshad
03-21-2007, 11:28 AM
All,

All the recent threads on the angle/bevel gear have made me realize it would probably be a good time to change the fluid in the wife's 01 since it has 62K on it and I doubt it was ever changed by the previous owner.

I've looked over the procedure in the resources section and it is pretty straightforward, but I want to know if we have to use a special "one of a kind" fluid like we do in our transmissions, or if I can simply use good old synthetic 75W90 geal oil?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Yes. I used Mobil, which is about $10 for a quart and comes in a squeeze bottle - you don't have to pump it in. The genuine Volvo oil is about $18/liter.

ltoolio
09-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes. I used Mobil, which is about $10 for a quart and comes in a squeeze bottle - you don't have to pump it in. The genuine Volvo oil is about $18/liter.

So is this the general concensus? That Mobil1 75W90 Fully synthetic Gear Oil is suitable for the Bevel/Angle Gear?