PDA

View Full Version : Engine VIN number

skibo
03-16-2007, 10:45 AM
I hate to start a new thread for this little question, but I did a search on the forum and didn't get any hits. And I guess the title is a bit redundant, since VIN stands for 'vehicle identification number'.

Anyway, I'm looking at a service schedule I got from the Volvo site some time back - trying to put it into a spread-sheet to make it a little more readable. The schedule is for all 2004 Volvo models, with lots of notes when something applies to only specific models.

I see several items the notes refer to 'Engine VIN Code', followed by a 2 digit number. I'm not sure what this is - I assume it's part of the longer VIN code, but I don't know which 2 digits it is.

Does anyone have the key to decode this? My VIN is YV1SZ59H041165691

While we're at it - I think I saw somewhere that the interior color is coded in the VIN or elsewhere on the plate under the hood (photo attached) - that would be another useful one to know.

volvoshad
03-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Skibo,

Your VIN engine code is 59, the B5254T2 engine. Here's your VIN decoder (http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2004/2004_VIN-VIC/vin2004.html). Go to http://www.volvocars.us/tools/OwnersInfo, register, and you can find all kinds of useful (or at least interesting) information.

I may not be as much help with the color code, but mine is on the right side of the tag on the third line. I will guess that your color code is 417-26.

Shadrach

Art
03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
While we're at it - I think I saw somewhere that the interior color is coded in the VIN or elsewhere on the plate under the hood (photo attached) - that would be another useful one to know.

The code (B970) to the right of the VIN indicates the interior upholstery of the vehicle. In your case, it would be graphite interior/graphite leather.

Just above that, I believe, is the market code which designates the vehicle specs for the destined country. 31= US 39 = Canada

As for the special vehicle number below the paint code, I have no idea but it also happens to be identical to mine. :confused:

skibo
03-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys.

When I finish this spread-sheet version of the service matrix, maybe I'll post it to the Resources area - it might be useful to others. I know in my case, everything is clearer in Excel.

Willy
03-17-2007, 01:30 AM
According to the VIN decoder, the digit that specifies the factory where the car is assembled contains
only four plants. If I am not mistaken XC's (among others) are also assembled in Asia (Thailand and Malaysia).
Does this mean that these plants are no longer producing cars (or at least Volvos)?
Willy

volvoshad
03-17-2007, 04:17 AM
According to the VIN decoder, the digit that specifies the factory where the car is assembled contains
only four plants. If I am not mistaken XC's (among others) are also assembled in Asia (Thailand and Malaysia).
Does this mean that these plants are no longer producing cars (or at least Volvos)?
Willy

Willy,

2006 Volvo production is detailed on page 8 of the latest issue of Rolling. The plants in China, Thailand and Malaysia do "knock down" assembly, that is, the cars are partially assembled in Ghent or Torslanda, then final assembly with local parts is completed in Asia. A similar plant in S. Africa closed last year. Ghent remains the #1 plant.:cool:

Skibo,

I look forward to your VIN decoder spread-sheet.[thumbup]

Shadrach

Willy
03-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the "knock down" assembly in Asia (to tell the thruth,
I didn't know about this method of assembly existed :o)
Willy

volvoshad
03-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the "knock down" assembly in Asia (to tell the thruth,
I didn't know about this method of assembly existed :o)
Willy

Believe me, I didn't either until I read the Rolling article. Credit editor Jan Nystrom for this one.

Edit: I see that some 850s were made in Halifax, Canada. Perhaps this was also knock down assembly, and one of our Canadian members would know about this.

gregvet
03-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Willy,

2006 Volvo production is detailed on page 8 of the latest issue of Rolling. The plants in China, Thailand and Malaysia do "knock down" assembly, that is, the cars are partially assembled in Ghent or Torslanda, then final assembly with local parts is completed in Asia. A similar plant in S. Africa closed last year. Ghent remains the #1 plant.:cool:

Excuse for my ignorance, but what is 'knock down" assembly? How much of the vehicle is assembled in this method?

Thanks.

volvoshad
03-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Excuse for my ignorance, but what is 'knock down" assembly? How much of the vehicle is assembled in this method?

Thanks.

I don't know any more about this method than I have already posted. :o Perhaps one of our more knowledgeable members could provide more information.

Willy
03-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Since we don't seem to know, perhaps we are allowed to make a guess :D:
Some parts of a car need to have specific qualities which can differ in various parts of the world.
As an example, in Europe, the covers of the lighting assemblies need to have a Euro label (E).
Same thing for safety belts and a number of other items.
Suppose this is also true in Asia, and that these parts are only available on the local market(s).
In thas case, Volvo would have to buy these items in Asia, transport them to a production plant,
do the assembly and ship them back in the car.
So, perhaps it then more economic to assemble the car without these items and have them
"dropped in" in the region of destination.
Sounds reasonable? I think so, but of course that doesn't mean it is true :o
Another possibility is what I call "the Swiss watchmakers tric".
In the past, US customs decided to collect a tax on Swiss watches (to protect the home industry).
The Swiss (smart as they are) found a way around: the imported cases and movements as separate
items into the country, then had them assembled to complete watches.
If some Asian countries do the same thing, then Volvo might just do as the Swiss watchmakers :)
If I were to vote, I'd choose my first guess, other members may have better ones :D
Willy

RedXC
03-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info. As for the other member, color code 416 is your color.