PDA

View Full Version : "Let's trade keys"

edwa
03-15-2007, 08:00 AM
It must be that time of year again, a different kind of March madness, when the dealers send to their previous clients this offer. "3 days only- March 16-18...go ahead and throw us the keys to your XC70 and in return catch the keys to a brand new 2007 Volvo..."

I have to admit its a tempting offer considering my lease is up next year and I have my doubts leasing the 1st year of the new model. Of course it'll be a lease so I won't get stuck with a bad one, but who wants the hassle of making extra trips to the shop for bugs.

I guess its the cynic in me that replies, I bet you won't trade at the rate I can get thru Costco ($100 over invoice).

Does anyone in other parts of the country get these same offers?

littlewaywelt
03-15-2007, 08:03 AM
It must be that time of year again, a different kind of March madness, when the dealers send to their previous clients this offer. "3 days only- March 16-18...go ahead and throw us the keys to your XC70 and in return catch the keys to a brand new 2007 Volvo..."

I have to admit its a tempting offer considering my lease is up next year and I have my doubts leasing the 1st year of the new model. Of course it'll be a lease so I won't get stuck with a bad one, but who wants the hassle of making extra trips to the shop for bugs.

I guess its the cynic in me that replies, I bet you won't trade at the rate I can get thru Costco ($100 over invoice).

Does anyone in other parts of the country get these same offers?

Yes I got this...it's pretty easy to get under the invoice if you're willing to shop around. Costco, while easy isn't necessarilly going to be the cheapest way to go.

gregvet
03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the MY 07 XC70 is actually the last of this model so pretty much all the previous bugs have been worked out. You should consider it if that was your reason not to. That is the reason I chose the 07

edwa
03-15-2007, 03:26 PM
littlewaywelt,
I hear ya. I didn't list Costco as neccessarily the best buy, but to say this offered deal is probably based on a much higher value. They're offering to take my 04XC which is upside down (value is lower than pay-off cost) for an 07.

gregvet,
as stated my 04 lease is up next April when the new 08 models are out. Those are the bugs I'm worried about and I see the 07, like you, as having all the previous bugs worked out. Heck, the only bug my 04 had was that the A/C blower went out ... oh, that and the dislikable, good for only 27,000 mi. Pirelli STR's it came with. ;-)

littlewaywelt
03-16-2007, 01:51 PM
littlewaywelt,
I hear ya. I didn't list Costco as neccessarily the best buy, but to say this offered deal is probably based on a much higher value. They're offering to take my 04XC which is upside down (value is lower than pay-off cost) for an 07.

Nearly anyone will offer to take an upside down car. It isn't a deal. They roll the outstanding loan on the trade in into your new car loan and they make even more money on the interest.

edwa
06-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Final Update: Well after giving it a lot of thought and then putting it aside and then coming back to it to chew on awhile later and then in the midst of it all realizing that no vehicle has ever so perfectly suited my needs ... Yesterday, I traded the leased 2004 XC70 for a new Ruby red 2007 XC70. First thing I noticed is that it seems to have a touch more spirit - probably just imagining that. The 2004 only had 36,400 mi on it. The steering also seems lighter at slow speeds, liked the heavier feel of the old. I had them put the Pirelli STR's on the old lease and put my Kumho Solus KH-16's with 8000 miles on the new car. God I hated those Pirelli's only 28,000 miles and bald. It was probably the constant tramlining on the concrete L.A. freeways!

Other first impressions. I'm not wild about the plastic wood dash, I liked the simple black, there was a perceived ruggedness to it. I'll have to get an iPod adapter of some kind now that I don't have an cassette player to go thru. Any suggestions other than the factory one they want over $500 to purchase and install? The pouches sewn in to the front of the seat cushions are now attached in away that makes them shallower. I was startled when I went reached for the drivers grab bar above the door there's now a sunglass holder. Not sure about that. The cupholders now fit a 1.5 litre water bottle!

A word of warning. Although the parts dept. first said that the in-dash cup holder from the 2004 would go into the 2007 it doesn't. And I guess the mechanics don't know that off-hand. So, now I've got an in dash cupholder for a 2004. Anyone interested in a deal? Anyone interested in taking over that front bumper guard I was creating?

I was glad I had used tennis racket wrap around the roof rails before putting my Yakima bars on them. Because I didn't expose the adhesive backs there was no gumming residue remaining and not even the slightest scratch to the rails.

I guess I'll now have to change my id photo!

tgwillard
06-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Good luck with your Ruby Red XC70. I think the color is very nice and am glad I purchased my 06 last October. So far no problem with the OEM tires and will have them rotated early in August.

Art
06-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Edwa,

Congrats on the new purchase! Once you get the Nimbus up there, I'm sure it will be a match made in heaven. ;) [thumbup]

As for the aluminum roof rails, they are much more durable than I had originally thought. I’ve cartopped both our roof box and kayaks on many occasions using the standard load bars and so far not even a scratch. That said, bit of Scotch-Brite would easily take care of any surface scratches that might otherwise occur. :)

gary
06-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Congrats on the new ride, Edwa. We also have a MY'07 RubyRed XC and it's probably my favorite color (besides the Artic Blue which is no longer available from Volvo in the North American market). I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your XC.

JRL
06-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Congrats on the new ride, Edwa. We also have a MY'07 RubyRed XC and it's probably my favorite color (besides the Artic Blue which is no longer available from Volvo in the North American market). I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your XC.

What's "Artic Blue"?
Might you mean Polar Ice Metallic 2002 color. (barf, sorry)

edwa
06-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys. This is the color I originally wanted but when I got the 2004 there was only one and in N. California and they wanted an xtra $1000 at the time to transport it down. So I passed.

Yeah the Nimbus is going to definitely make it a "red tide" ;) but at least the wife's aqua colored Seaward will break up the color palette. It actually gets worse, one of my surfboards is red the other 2 are white. Whew.

gary
07-01-2007, 06:06 AM
What's "Artic Blue"?
Might you mean Polar Ice Metallic 2002 color. (barf, sorry)

Technically speaking, it was "Polar Artic" (#444), so you aren't "exactly" correct either, are ya? And despite your barfing, I still that is a color that Volvo should have continued with the XC70.

edwa
07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey Art, these are for you!