PDA

View Full Version : pcv service

fordfan
03-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Doing my 90 k maintenence on my own. Wondering what I should do for the pcv (crankcase ventilation) on my 2001 xc. I see the hose from the spark plug cover running down towards the "catch can" but do I need to drain and flush any of these lines?

volvoshad
03-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Doing my 90 k maintenence on my own. Wondering what I should do for the pcv (crankcase ventilation) on my 2001 xc. I see the hose from the spark plug cover running down towards the "catch can" but do I need to drain and flush any of these lines?

I am planning to do this service as well (that is, just as soon as I re-assemble the front end after changing the front control arm bushings.:rolleyes: ), but have not found any information posted on it for the P2 cars. There are threads pertaining to the PCV system on the 870 cars - MatthewsVolvoSite.com for instance - but nothing on the present generation of XCs. I think you just need to detach the hoses and inspect them along with the oil trap, cleaning as necessary. If you get further information, please post it here![thumbup]

Edit - this (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=69643) was the only relevant thread that I found.

KCsXC
03-14-2007, 12:04 PM
I am also looking into cleaning my PCV system on my 02 (130k Kms). I have seen the procedure as a TSB on alldata.com link which was provided from a thread on the V70R Forum. The link use to pull up the procedures and now no longer does. Alldata is a service for fee and now the link just comes up with there home page you can subscribe too. Basically it was a TSB for PCV and throttle body cleaning prcoedure. I do not want to mess with the throttle body due to the expense if something went wrong however it combines both procedures. Basically it says to remove the power steering pump and alternator to access the PCV lines and flame box under the manifold. I had gone to my local dealer to buy the bevel gear oil and I had asked him if there was a kit you could buy to replace all the lines because if you are to go through all that trouble you might as well replace it. He said that the main trouble spot on the PCV system is the elbow attached directly to the underside of the manifold and possibly the flame box would need to be cleaned out. Basically 50 dollars worth of misc gaskets etc, however it was a 4-5 hour job in labor. The guys in the shop usually remove the manifold to do the job, I guess they found it easier. I am going to tackle it by removing the PS pump and alternator. I am going to still search for the TSB and will post my findings.

KC

Art
03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I have the CV cleaning procedure contained in a PDF if anyone is interested. I'll also forward it off to Taylor to add to the resources department for future reference.

volvoshad
03-15-2007, 02:42 AM
I have the CV cleaning procedure contained in a PDF if anyone is interested. I'll also forward it off to Taylor to add to the resources department for future reference.

E-mail received. This is a BIG help, Art. [thumbup] There's a fair amount of work to gain access to the system, but the inspection/cleaning is pretty straightforward. Thanks for your help!:D

Shadrach

fordfan
03-15-2007, 08:21 PM
the pdf file is already posted! WOW

Quick question..where is the banjo fitting on the intake? and the banjo nipple? as per the pdf? is it on the bottom of the intake?

Art
03-16-2007, 09:52 AM
The VADIS illustration shows location of the banjo bolt/nipple near the bottom of the manifold.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/IntakeManifold.gif
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/NippleCleaning.gif

fordfan
03-16-2007, 02:40 PM
That is perfect!!! The pic from the PDF isnt real clear, but that is MUCH BETTER!!! THANKS!

skibo
03-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Doing my 90 k maintenence on my own. Wondering what I should do for the pcv (crankcase ventilation) on my 2001 xc.

This is a minor point amidst all this good information, but the service chart for my '04 shows the PCV service at 105,000 miles / 168,000 km. Did that change, or are you just working ahead?

volvoshad
03-17-2007, 04:39 AM
This is a minor point amidst all this good information, but the service chart for my '04 shows the PCV service at 105,000 miles / 168,000 km. Did that change, or are you just working ahead?

Skibo,

It's an '01 thing. The maintenance chart suggests inspect and clean at 90K. BTW, you can access information on any year Volvo at ownersinfo, not just your own. In my case, I hope to upgrade the ecu in the near future, and JRL suggested this be done as part of "stage zero" upgrades. Made sense to me.

Shadrach

KCsXC
03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
To help clarify the 96K or 168K I had asked my parts guy. He said that they changed the mileage to 168K in 2002. The reason most likely is that if you have volvo do the service it can be a pretty expensive hit, 4-6 hours labor for something simple like a PCV system I believe that people complained. Also I think the rate that they were plugging off the majority of them they could extend the service interval however he suggested that turbo models should be checked earlier. Cleaning the PCV is cheaper than replacing the rear seal if the PCV is blocked off. The dealer should have the equipment to check the crankcase pressure and should be able to tell you whether it is plugging off or not. I think I might pay them for that and if they suggest to clean it I will pick up the parts and do the job myself to save the labor.

KC

skibo
03-19-2007, 06:27 AM
I wonder if the VADIS manual gives any instruction on checking crankcase vacuum? Could be a pretty easy check with an inexpensive gauge, and by monitoring every once in a while, a faulty PCV could possibly be spotted before it gets bad. On the engines my company builds, crankcase pressure is a fundemental measure of an engine's health, and is monitored by the service people.

A crude approach I have seen recommended on occasion is to open the oil fill, and put a piece of paper over the hole - if the paper 'sticks' you have crankcase vaccuum and if it blows off you don't, and your PCV isn't keeping up with the piston blow-by. This might identify a gross problem, but by then it might be too late.

bhcreasy
10-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Hello all,

Looking at the forum posts, it is stated that there exists a 2001 XC70 PCV Cleaning/Replacement Procedure as a pdf file. Where is it, I am most interested in thet and cannot locate one anywhere.

Please help.
Brian

JRL
10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
www.matthewsvolvosite.com
You will find it there

Art
10-28-2011, 08:42 AM
It's actually in resources-how-to section of the website under crankcase ventilation cleaning method.

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/crankcase-ventilation-system-cleaning%20Method.pdf