PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant Clack sound when backing up

psaboic
03-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Intermittantly, our 01 XC70 AWD will make a single "clack" type sound when backing out of a parking space. Once in a great while it will do it when first moving forward after backing up. Closest I can come to describing the sound is what it would sound like if you smacked to 2X4's together lightly. I can only hear it if the windows are down, and it will only do it once. On average I would say it makes the sound about once in every 7-8 times backing up.

Car currently has 61,507 miles on it. I flushed the tranny fluid and re-filled with 3309 about 1500 miles ago. Only issue I have with the car is it still has the Neutral stop thing, but it is the wife's car, and it doesn't bother her. Besdies, I'm reluctant to pay the $165 the dealer wants to download the new software.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Glenn

BillAileo
03-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I have noticed such a sound if my car is parked for awhile after being driven in the rain or washed. In my case, the noise is the result of incredibly quick rusting of the rotors briefly locking the pads in place and I don't worry about it. Hope that is what is happening with yours.

Bill