PDA

View Full Version : clunk when aplying brakes

fordfan
03-07-2007, 08:47 PM
2001 xc70 90k Miles.

when purchased had a sqeak when crossing rr tracks, or pot holes, dealer agreed to repair. after repairs compleated no more noises. they replaced 2 spring bushings and one seat and unfortunatly the invoice does not say what side.

Now a month later after driving for a few miles, when first lightly applying the brakes I hear a metallic clunk, it happens with only light pedal pressure, like it is taking slack out of something. after the first initial application of the brakes the noise will not occur again, until after you have driven a few (5 or more) miles...

any ideas?

volvoshad
03-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Sway bar endlinks cause a variety of noises. Worn control arm bushings will allow for suspension movement with loading. When really worn out, they are well known to cause a shudder with braking and acceleration.

I assume pads, rotor, calipers all look good?

fordfan
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes pads, rotors and calipers look good, nothing appears loose, could the sway bar links cause this noise?

it seems like if I accelerate hard, then just tap the breaks i can hear it clunk..

volvoshad
03-09-2007, 03:44 AM
Yes pads, rotors and calipers look good, nothing appears loose, could the sway bar links cause this noise?

it seems like if I accelerate hard, then just tap the breaks i can hear it clunk..

I believe that they can. Check to make sure the retaining nuts haven't backed off. You might be able to check for excessive play in the ball joints by applying torque with a large wrench, but often it seems the only way to diagnose a problem is to remove them. Take the car for a short drive around the block - if the noise is gone, you have a diagnosis!:cool: