PDA

View Full Version : Mud flap rivet size

Turchman
03-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Anyone know what size rivets rip out of the mud flap, actually the trim, when you drive in the snow? I know that :mad: were not intended to be driven in that pesky white stuff, but it does happen at times. Not that I'm bitter.

littlewaywelt
03-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Anyone know what size rivets rip out of the mud flap when you drive in the snow? I know that :mad: were not intended to be driven in that pesky white stuff, but it does happen at times. Not that I'm bitter.

Mine did this a few weeks ago as well. The highway wind then blew the flap around sideways causing the tire to grind a nice slight-C shape into it. ...Not that I'm bitter either. On the upside it's probably a proprietary rivet size, only available at the dealer for $19.95. ;)

Calloway
03-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Ya, I had the same problem, fixed it by placing washers over the rivets so they won't pull through the plastic. You can reach the two the lower one's, thats enought to strenghen the connection. Haven't had a problem since.

Bob

TrueBlue
03-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I had a similar problem last week, but that was because I fouled up the installation of my tow-bar :(...

Anyway, before i mounted my New front flaps, I measured the rivets supplied with that kit and they were:-

4.8mm dia (the size of the rivet shank - not the pin)
24mm (length of rivet bit)
16mm (head diameter)

(Apologies for the nasty French measurements; too idle to convert to Good Ol' Imperial size, and also probably for improper use of rivet nomenclature.)

I hate pop-rivets - sort of rubbish engineering foisted on us in the name of low cost. Give me BSF threads in brass any day (Joke)

I found these readily available - on this side of the Pond - but I had to by a hundred, but inexpensive (good old eBay), so no problems.

Looking at the whole issue of the plastic trim and fixings thereto - I am appalled, a small encounter with a lump of snow and they rip off. AAAAAHRRRGGGHHH.

Feel better now, hope the above helps!

wgriswold
03-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Quote "Looking at the whole issue of the plastic trim and fixings thereto - I am appalled, a small encounter with a lump of snow and they rip off. AAAAAHRRRGGGHHH." Unquote

Flimsy plastic fasteners and trim seem to be a Volvo feature. I did not like them on my 1980 DL and the 2003 XC70 is pretty much the same.

Turchman
03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Does anyone think stainless screws would be a better solution?

Thank you for the responses.

TrueBlue
03-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Does anyone think stainless screws would be a better solution?

Thank you for the responses.

Yes, sure.
BUT the problem is that you need a blind fixing. You can't really get at the far side unless you have most peculiar fingers...

I suppose you could adapt the Fischer type cavity wall fittings; but I haven't seen that technology used in vehicles.

Turchman
03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
What do you think of this?

http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/lsh.asp

or this

cheapo
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Any new solutions for this issue?

I bought OE mudflaps and had the installed by my indy 18 months ago. Since then I have had a half dozen rivets fall out (I had them replaced), lost one mudflap entirely (also replaced), and now, with the snow, the one on the front/right is dangling and its mate on the left has fallen off (in my driveway, fortunately). The one plastic pop rivet that is keeping the dangler in place appears to be on for life, but just in case it gives way, I have fastened it to the rear view mirror with some nylon twine!

I would love a more robust solution!

JRL
01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Installed properly they're fine but when they've become ripped out and the hole becomes larger, it's tough for it to stay on
Try some short fat sheet metal screws with large washers (hopefully in BLACK)! [thumbup]

Ars Gladius
01-25-2012, 05:54 PM
I believe 3/16" dia with a grip range of 1/4"-3/8" (possibly 1/8"-1/4"). Check how thick the parts are to be sure.

You may be lucky and be able to find a supplier with "exploding" pop-rivets, they expand like wall anchors (they have slits in the rivet body) instead of the normal cylindrical expansion and will likely hold better.

Make sure you get Aluminum or Stainless rivets.

There is also another option which I will be trying for my Rally Armor mud flaps in the spring, as I want to be able to take them off for replacement, etc, without the pain of drilling rivets out that are partially mounted in plastic.

I got these expanding plugs. They have a brass nut mounted in a rubber jacket. As you tighten the bolt, it pulls the nut upwards expanding the rubber jacket. They have quite a bit of holding power judging from the experiments that I have tried.