PDA

View Full Version : 01 XC First ATF drain

jmoser
03-05-2007, 12:53 PM
After 65K I finally got around to draining the ATF. Should have done it much sooner. I pulled the drain plug during an oil change, got ~3.25 Quarts out of the pan. Refilled with 3 Q, ran a few min and drained again, this time got out ~2.8 Q. Refilled total of what I got out, now I plan to drain the pan every 5K oil change [or every other after a couple more.]

Question - the ATF dipstick tube is almost impossible to get a decent size funnel into straight - I had to dribble the fluid in to prevent overfill and dripping between the funnel and tube. I lost a few Oz of precious 3309 this way. Is there a special size tubing you can use as a funnel extender to get aroung this? I guess I can just pull the dipstick again and measure the OD at the O-ring but would appreciate it if anyone knows the size offhand.

Once again a special 'Thanks!' to our Swedish friends for designing an impossible to reach [much less use] ATF dipstick / fill tube. Had to disconnect the vacuum fitting hose just to get my hand down there.

BillAileo
03-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Get a cheap flexible funnel with a long narrow hose such as that sold by IPD: http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=495&NodeID=4470&RootID=629

Works fine for ATF filling.

Bill

volvoshad
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Most auto parts stores have these funnels. I know that I slipped my MityVac hose down the fill tube to draw off 200 cc of ATF; it's a 3/8" O.D. hose. That should give you a reference if you go shopping for a funnel any place other than ipd.