PDA

View Full Version : HELLLLLLP!! 2004 Subwoofer wiring! Aaauuugghhh!

VWVespaVolvoinVA
03-03-2007, 04:37 PM
UPDATE
Okay, I found the 2004 installation instructions for the subwoof... I mean, "bass speaker."

I has originally found the 2005+ instructions, here:
http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx

This is an awesome site, which has installation instructions for many Volvo items.

I had searched for instructions on the above site using the keyword "subwoofer", which seemed like a no-brainer. But the only subwoofer document that the site gave me was the instruction sheet dated from 1/2005.

HOWEVER, on a hunch, I repeated the search using the keyword "speaker" and, lo and behold, I found the following document "Bass speakers, cargo compartment" for the 2003 V70. Hmmm... I didn't know that we even had a bass speaker in the cargo compartment, unless... Bingo! The 2004 (actually, 2003) subwoofer instructions. It turns out that the subwoofer is not called a "subwoofer" before 2005; it is called a "bass speaker".

Now, why didn't I think of that?
Now I know what to do with the violet wire, and it doesn't even involve any bodily orifices of any Volvo engineers.

I will reopen the back of the car when I get home tonight. I have almost no doubt that after all this, I will find that my car is in fact prewired for the subwoofer.

Original Message:

Hello People-Who-Know-Anything-About-Wiring (Which-Doesn't-Include-Me),

(For some reason, electricity and I just don't mix. I think it goes back to that bobby-pin I plugged into an electrical outlet when I was 1-1/2 years old.)

I have a 2004 XC70 and I am in the middle of an installation of a 2004 subwoofer for it. I understand that there are two different wiring harnesses and two different directions for this sub, for 2001-2004, and for 2005 on. I think I have the correct 2004 harness, but I have the 2005 directions.

I only found the available 2005 installation instructions online, which were very helpful until I got to the steps of installling the red power source lead and violet power-on lead is incorrect.

Alternatively, if you feel you are good enough to talk an idiot through installing these leads, feel free to give it a try. Maybe that idiot could then talk me, a greater idiot, through it.

I was able to take the power module off the rack, but I have absolutely no freakin' idea what to do with the red power lead and the violet power-on lead. (Well, I have an idea, but it's not pretty.)

Thanks in advance,
Ken

JRL
03-03-2007, 06:02 PM
You should have had the cable already in the XC with no need for all this.
plug and play

VWVespaVolvoinVA
03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
?? News to me.

The harness that came with the sub had five ends to attach: it attached to each of the two rear speakers, leaving one large connection to the subwoofer, and two remaining wires: a small violet wire, and larger dual red wire. I understand that these are a signal wire and power wire, respectively.

JRL:
Are you saying that I didn't need the harness that came with the sub? I don't know how else I would have hooked it into the system. The only unused plug in the tail of my XC70 was used to hook up to the trailer hitch, which I installed about a year ago.

JRL
03-03-2007, 09:39 PM
?? News to me.

JRL:
Are you saying that I didn't need the harness that came with the sub? I don't know how else I would have hooked it into the system. The only unused plug in the tail of my XC70 was used to hook up to the trailer hitch, which I installed about a year ago.
No, there should be one there, they all came prewired.
(There seems to be a few exceptions though, what year XC)?

JRL
03-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Never mind, I see, 2004.
All 2004s should have the prewire harness in there
Subs don't usually come with that harness, you had to order it separately

VWVespaVolvoinVA
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I bought the sub and harness used, so I thought the harness came with it. The instructions did not mention anything about looking for a prewired connection; they simply described hooking to the rear speakers, then hooking the 12V red and the signal violet to the electronic module.

The only unused prewired connector that I found was the hookup to the trailer hitch, which successfully hooked up to my Volvo hitch harness.

If my car may be prewired for the sub, where might the prewired hookup be? Hidden? In plain sight?

Please forgive my obtuseness. It just seems that even those who installed the sub in a 2004 like mine have used the harness (Gibbons, Jack) and none described simply putting the sub on the tire and plugging it in.