PDA

View Full Version : New '07 XC90 purchase questions?

Dubhead
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I am on the cusp of purchasing a new '07 XC90 and have a few dilemmas over which engine and ride characteristics. I am in certain need of AWD and am looking at both the 6 and the 8 engines. For those out there with the 6, do you feel that the vehicle is a bit underpowered, especially with the weight? The economy between the two is negligible to me, but I think that a six might still be smarter. I am interested in the Sport model, but it is not a necessity. My '01 XC70 really needs the V70 R's handling but I am comfortable with it being a bit plusher and softer in response.
I guess the bottom line here is that I would love to hear opinions about which model would be most worth it to get in the XC90? I am at a real loss with my XC70 (upside down loan) and need to move it fast. I can get a decent deal under invoice pricing to recoup some negative equity in the XC70 so the XC90 has now come into the picture. I would like to make a smart buy on the right model here and don't want to go too overboard with an engine or features I don't really need. Thanks for any input you folks may have on this.

Cheers!
Dubhead :D

gary
02-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I am interested in the Sport model....

Assuming you mean you are interested in the XC90 Sport, the V8 is the only engine choice with that trim. I don't own a 90, but several of my friends do and most have the 3.2 six cylinder engine and none have complained about a lack of power to move the vehicle down the road.

Dubhead
02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback on the inline 6-cylinder. I am test driving both the 6 and 8 tomorrow to see about any perceived differences. I am not relegating myself to just the Sport model. I am curious as to feedback regarding which model/trim level of the XC90 seems to be worth its price. Magazine reviews for most of these have been fairly lackluster, maybe they have something.
On another note, since both these engines are naturally aspirated, does that mean they do not demand running on Premium gasoline (92 octane)? The salesman I spoke with today wasn't entirely sure about that and was going to have that info available to me for tomorrow at the test drive. That would be a plus in my book if that is the case.
Thanks for any opinions anyone can offer [thumbup]

Cheers!
Dubhead ;)

fraserb
02-22-2007, 08:02 AM
I am also interested in the XC90, and unsure of the 6 or 8. After your test drive, would you mind posting your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan

William
02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
The XC90 3.2 or the V8 will run on regular gas.

William

Dubhead
02-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Well I am fresh back from my test drive of these two and I must say the V8 is more to my liking. I say this much to my chagrin as we recently sold a GMC Yukon and bought an '06 RAV4 V6 with 270hp! (great gas mileage on this too btw). I was not overly impressed by the responsiveness of the I6 except that when I was at highway speeds there was a bit less lag in launching into the upper RPM's (and true power band) than I experienced in the city driving. I think that practically speaking the I6 makes sense for those wanting all the amenities of the XC90 without a "need" for some on-demand power. That said, the Yamaha V8 did kick out some good power in both city and highway usage (as would be expected) and did so without any noticeable torque steering issues or otherwise (this is very noticeable in our RAV4).
I will also second the nod to the unleaded gasonline as these engines can pretty much self-adjust to whatever octane you are running. It is just not totally recommended to always be running on the ultra cheap unleaded unless perhaps you live in a relatively flat area and wouldn't be pushing the engine all that much. This is a big pro in my book as I would more than likely alternate tanks of premium with regular unleaded (Chevron usually)
I received another plug by the salesman for the Overseas Delivery Program and he said that frankly dealers can't beat it...just the thing for the adventurous traveler who is not putting time to purchase at a premium. I will consider this closer as I would like to have the car within a month at least but maybe I can be convinced to wait ;)
Didn't think I would want the versatility package, since I have no rugrats to speak of and really don't think anyone we know would want to pack into the third row but the salesman made the point of saying the market for these a few years down the road would be bigger if I had this option as well as I don't really even gain any true storage space without these seats ("enough to store some pencils!" I was quoted :) )
I did not drive a model with the 18" wheels on board and would have been interested in the ride with these. Overall the XC90 handled the rough stuff with grace and poise I have become used to with my XC70. I ripped through a couple of curves at high speed to get a little of the RSC experience. I felt it only once where the engine seemed to go into neutral (depowering) and I felt a little braking going on, which I assume is what balances the vehicle. I am sure I could have gotten it to do better if it wasn't on a test drive :cool:
That's all I'll say for now and am open to more questions as I have lots of other impressions about the vehicle that might be to long to read here....

Dubhead:rolleyes:

kageryu
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I did not drive a model with the 18" wheels on board and would have been interested in the ride with these.
Dubhead:rolleyes:

Just a heads up, We have the 18" wheels on our '03, and have been told that the 18's have a significantly narrower tire selection than the 17's. Just something to keep in mind during your final choices.

Also, from what I've seen, the 3rd row seats disappear under the floorboards. I think you lose a little space under the floor, where some might keep first aid kits or flashlights, etc... but no significant cargo space. Also, I've inquired about the possibility of adding a 3rd row seat to ours, and have been warned it would be a ridiculous undertaking worthy of selling the car and buying a new one with the 3rd row in it already. So, don't let the salesman talk you up if you have no interest in it, but if there is a reasonable chance you might want it in the future, and it doesn't break your bank, it might be worth thinking about.

MD-Daddy
02-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Well I am fresh back from my test drive of these two and I must say the V8 is more to my liking.

As it was mine. The sound...it sounds like a distant early 70's era muscle car.

I received another plug by the salesman for the Overseas Delivery Program and he said that frankly dealers can't beat it...j

Check it out. Talk to William, or your local dealer. OSD'ing an 2006 will save you thousands PLUS you might get a trip of a life time.