PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Cruise Control

LAMurray
02-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi, We've recently bought a 2001 (51 plate) V70xc and are loving it... The only trouble is the Cruisecontrol doesn't seem to work.

Picked the car up last Friday and drove it from just outside London down to South Wales (mostly motorway), tried toengage cruise control numerous times but nothing happens. The 'cruise' indicator appears on the dash display but it doesn't actually work!

Any suggestions?

BillAileo
02-19-2007, 12:20 PM
On most cruise control systems there are sensors or switches connected in some fashion to the brake, accelerator and clutch pedals to disengage the cruise control when any of these pedals are touched by the driver. You might want to start your troubleshooting by looking for something amiss with the pedals....

Bill

XC70_Fornudden
02-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi

to engage the cruise ctrl you need to press the cruise control button and then press the +

Every time you want to set a new cruising speed (when the cruise ctrl button is lit on the dash board) just press the + sign and the new speed will be set.
If you just press the Cruise button nothing will happen as the system awaits further input from the driver.

Cheers
Chris

Neil R
02-20-2007, 06:23 AM
In support of Bill ...

On mine the cruise control would often drop out due to an intermittent fault on the brake pedal sensor. The clue being that even with my foot on the brake the shift lever would occasionally refuse to budge from park. (I think the brake pedal sensor has two seperate switches within it - one for the cruise control and the shift-lever solenoid, the other for the brake lights).

It was an easy job to change the pedal sensor if any of this sounds familar.

Neil

geo
03-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi, I know what the book say's, but to initially set the cruise speed it does not make any functional difference if the + or - button is pressed. So doing so would be a quick check on the + switch.
Geo

JOHN ZAMMITO
03-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Cruise Ctrl
Hi, SOMETIMES THE CHEQUE BRAKE LIGHTS WARNNING COMES ON WHEN PRESSING THE BRAKE
ALL BULBS OK, THEN ON OCCASION THE CRUISE CTRL CUTS OFF AND IHAVE TO TURN OF THE IGNITION TO RE SET IT ONLY TO FIND THAT ALL IS WELL FOR A FEW DAYS CAN ANY ONE HELP?

JOHN ZAMMITO
03-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi all those nice people who answerd my cruise ctrl queary will let you know how things turn out ,J.Z

Dino
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
I had a similar problem with my cruise control on my 2003. What I found out was that it would drop out when I kept the car in D and was going up a hill. There is apparently some feed back in the software that causes a system error. On occasion, I would get an error message on the console. Since talking with the dealer about this problem, I have been down shifting to 4 when climbing a hill - the steepness is a judgement call. Since starting this technique, I have never had the cruise drop out.

texascanuk
04-02-2007, 06:02 PM
my cruise would not engage sometimes when the + is pressed, and the word "cruise" would go out, and not come back on until I reset the system by turning off the key. the dealer told me its the brake pedal sensor($210 US) that needs replacing.

sendwongy1
04-08-2007, 08:18 PM
It sounds like the brake sensor issue. I had similar problems with my cruise and the dealer replaced the brake pedal sensor and I have not had any problems since.