PDA

View Full Version : Driver door wind noise question and other

nylona
02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
[cool2] Hello

I am a new owner of a 2006 XC90 with only 25,000km on it, I replaced my Xc70 2003 with 140,000km last week.

I like my new SUV, nice driving, very nice in the snow better than my XC 70. I am pleased with the car but I want your opinion on 3 things

1) it is very windy in Montreal these days and when I am driving against the wind, I am hearing a driver door wind noise, I am not able to find the location where this is coming from, I did a research on the website on wind noise but didn't find anything in particular, I'd like to know if anyone notify a similar problem and what is the fix

2) Seat belt B pillar noise on driver side, I found some answers, like replacing seat belt by the dealer...any other suggestions or solutions

3)Driver doors squiking when I open it...maybe lubrification but I notify an accumulation of snow on the bottom of the door inside the car... is it possible that the door is not adjusted and need service? any problems similar and fix solution

For the rest, I only missed my XC70 for underground parking when there is not too much space for the rest it is a nicer car but I am comparing a 2003 xc70 with a 2006 xc90 maybe this is not fair for the XC70.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

tgwillard
02-16-2007, 07:48 PM
You could try some silicone spray on the door seal. I see in (2) you had the dealer replace the seat belt. Did the dealer check anything else regarding the door wind noise?

You mentioned liking the XC90 in the snow better than your old XC70. Does the 90 have winter tires or all season?

nylona
02-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the reply,

To answer your last question, I am comparing both cars with winter tyres, same brand Gislaved North frost tyres 2003 xc70 16 inch and the 2006 Xc90 17 inch with DSTC 2.5T.

Yesterday while looking to find an answer, I noticed that the driver mirror was a litlle bit loose maybe a reason for the noise, I am going on a ski trip Northern Quebec for few days, I will have a chance to verify a couples of things and as soon I get back, I will visit my dealer for inspection.

Just to make things right, I am not complaining a minute about my Xc70, always love to car, I did 20,000 miles per year for 3 years, I bought it with 25,000 miles on it in february 2004. I had no major problem with the car, very pleased, I sold it to my Brother in Law because I knew that he will enjoy the ride and every time that I am speaking to me, he thanks me for the deal.

The XC70 is a wonderful vehicule, well built, great look since his launch in 2001 but unfortunately the next generation will be available next year probably but to late for me, I tried the XC90 and loved it right away, roamy, heavier and you sit higher better visibility in the traffic but gas consumption is 3.5 liter/100 km more than the XC70 2.5T ( almost 1 us gallon per 62 miles) (city and highway combine) not a huge expense.

The future will tell, so far so good

tgwillard
02-17-2007, 06:34 PM
My wife who has the S80 loves the look of the XC90, but agrees that for my purposes the XC70 is the better choice. It seems we all have the 2.5 turbo engine in common and that is the reason I went with the XC70 to replace my aging Ford Ranger. The 2.5T has good gas mileage and plenty of power for our needs, although with the heavier XC90 perhaps the new V6 would be more suitable, but many with the 2.5T in their XC90's are quite happy it seems.

On a long highway trip we consistantly get over 38 mpg in the S80. I know I won't get that mileage with the XC70 since it has AWD, but I should get in the mid 30's on a highway trip I hope.

Let us know if the sideview mirror is the culprit regarding your wind noise. That might be it.

nylona
02-24-2007, 10:53 AM
I just did a long trip recently around 800 km close to 500 miles and my average was 14.2 liter/100 km about 18 miles per gallon with 4 winter tyres and and very hilly road, while with my XC70 I was doing around 24-25 miles per gallon....but the Xc90 performed so well in the snow, it was so fun.

The prenium sound radio is amazing, you don't hear a thing except the nice music...so far I am pleased with the car with the exception of few little bugs, I bought the car used from a Volvo dealer west of Montreal Quebec and the certification was not done properly, I believe the brakes needed to be replaced, and the car needed some littles adjustments such outside mirror, doors lubrification ( all doors are squicking), B pillar belt needs to be replaced, the windshield washer reservor was completely empty... those are little details that can be easily fixed but would mademakes a big deal when you are buying a car from $50,000.00 canadian.

Dealer are so important, now I understand

tgwillard
02-24-2007, 06:45 PM
By premium sound I assume you have the HU 850 radio with 5.1 surround, which should include the sub woofer. I don't listen to the radio that much and both the S80 and the XC70 came with the HU 650 Radio.

Yes, I would imagine the gas mileage of the XC90 would be less than the XC70, but I am glad you are happy with how it performs in snow with the winter tires. Hopefully the dealer with take care of the things you found wrong with the car.