PDA

View Full Version : Anybody installed an equalizer?

mojohelpermonkey
02-11-2007, 12:54 AM
This week I replaced the crappy paper coned stock door speakers with Infinity Reference (just couldn't spring for the Kappas) 2-ways. They sound great, but now I've got too much high with all those tweeters. When I try to adjust for this with the treble control on my HU-613 it takes away like the upper 1/3 of the sound, making it muddy, when I just want to kill the very very upper range a bit. I just can't get a good, rounded sound out of this head unit with the bass/treble knob.

So I'm wondering if anybody has installed a separate equalizer. Is there a good place anybody has found to put one, and how has your experience with it been? Would be nice to find a slim one and put it in where the pen holder is, but I can't remember if there is a void behind it or not.

A funny note, I bought this car used and noticed the front drivers side speaker wasn't working. When I pulled the door panel off to replace the speaker I found there was no speaker, and no plastic speaker mount either! Why would anybody need to take this? I improvised a mount, drilled some holes, and filled the gaps with silicone culk and it sounds good. In the other doors the speakers went right into the mounts, and even had 4 holes in the right place already for the screws. Hardest part is getting the old ones out.

JRL
02-11-2007, 06:16 AM
This week I replaced the crappy paper coned stock door speakers with Infinity Reference (just couldn't spring for the Kappas) 2-ways. They sound great, but now I've got too much high with all those tweeters. When I try to adjust for this with the treble control on my HU-613 it takes away like the upper 1/3 of the sound, making it muddy, when I just want to kill the very very upper range a bit. I just can't get a good, rounded sound out of this head unit with the bass/treble knob.

So I'm wondering if anybody has installed a separate equalizer. Is there a good place anybody has found to put one, and how has your experience with it been? Would be nice to find a slim one and put it in where the pen holder is, but I can't remember if there is a void behind it or not.

A funny note, I bought this car used and noticed the front drivers side speaker wasn't working. When I pulled the door panel off to replace the speaker I found there was no speaker, and no plastic speaker mount either! Why would anybody need to take this? I improvised a mount, drilled some holes, and filled the gaps with silicone culk and it sounds good. In the other doors the speakers went right into the mounts, and even had 4 holes in the right place already for the screws. Hardest part is getting the old ones out.

I assume you are not aware of the hidden menu with the built in EQ?
Email me [email protected] mention the hidden menu and I'll send you a pdf
I believe, but not positive, that what I have will work on your radio. It's for an 803, but if I remember it should work to some degree on an 813

MoeB
02-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Here's (http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/audio_menus/hu613/) some hidden menu EQ stuff for the 613 that has low/mid/high bands for front/rear. Haven't tried it so I don't know if it works.

JRL
02-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Here's (http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/audio_menus/hu613/) some hidden menu EQ stuff for the 613 that has low/mid/high bands for front/rear. Haven't tried it so I don't know if it works.
That's it, adjusted to your likings will make a huge difference, it works well

mojohelpermonkey
02-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks, I've tried the hidden menu and made it sound much better, but there is still that very high tweet that is just overpowering sometimes. To turn it down even with the hidden menu kills too much of the mid tweet. (I'm picky about my tunes) Maybe I'll just disconect the separate tweeters in the door and see if that helps. When I installed my first speaker I tested it compared to the volvo one that was still installed and noticed that the new speaker was not as loud (in the midrange at least) as the volvo speaker. Maybe having to turn the volume up for the new speakers has turned the separate tweets up even louder.

I think what I ended up doing was turning the treble knob down and turning the highs up in the menu. That did tame it a bit.

I'd like to have a 7 or so band equalizer to adjust, but can't find one that has speaker in's and out's. Most just have preamp outs. You can't have it all, sigh, but still sounds pretty good.