PDA

View Full Version : HU-613 is very picky on burnt CDs

Palisandr
02-09-2007, 08:30 AM
I have a problem with playing burnt audio CDs on my HU-613. Some of them are played fine, some of them are spitted out with "CD error" message. Same disks are played absolutely fine by my home CD player and by the Toyota Sienna's audio system. Have anybody experienced the same problem? Should I talk to the dealer?

tgwillard
02-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Check to see if your HU-613 has trouble with CD-R's or CD-RW's or both. Does there seem to be a particular brand of CD's that your system is having trouble with.

Certainly check with the dealer to see if they have had similar problems reported by other owners.

MoeB
02-10-2007, 10:49 AM
In my experience the HU-613 is pretty finicky about playing home-burned CDs. I had the same problem (posted about it here (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9291&highlight=burning)) with discs burned on my Mac G5 using iTunes. I tried about 8 or 10 different brands of CD-R discs, but never did find one that worked when burned with my G5. I finally found that discs burned on my G4 Powerbook played fine, so I suspect it may something to do with the brand of drive in the computer.

The HU-613 may also be sensitive to the kind of dye used in the disc. Some people find that newer "data" CD-Rs that are made with silver dye don't work, but the "music" CD-Rs made with blue or green dye do work. Some people say their solution was to record at low record rates, even 1x or 2x, but my Powerbook works at the default max speed using music CD-Rs. Both Maxell and Sony music CD-Rs work for me.

philosophicaldreamer
02-11-2007, 02:15 PM
My radio has no problems at all in playing variety of burned CDs. It is quite strange how different people have different experiences with their burned CDs.

Ta-ta, janusz

thegruffalo
02-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I would have to agree with your experience. During our early experiences with the car, I couldn't figure it out so I even took it to the dealer and everything checked out.

The Volvo player does seem excessively sensitive to burned discs.

SYS
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
While my burnt CD's are problematic in my Nissan Maxima, they're just fine when I play them in my wife's XC70. Perhaps try a different brand?

Palisandr
02-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the tips.

goldxc70
07-08-2008, 08:05 AM
(snip to) It is quite strange how different people have different experiences with their burned CDs.

Actually, it is not strange at all. There are a huge number of variables involved with CD-R, some of which have been mentioned in this thread already. These include quality of media, quality of material, burning software, burning software settings, speed of burning, burner itself, computer doing the burning, other applications running while burning. For example many people burn CD's in the background while checking email or browsing. Depending on the CPU and/or memory in the PC, this may interfere with the burning process. Also, some burning software works better with burners than others. The rule of thumb seems to be that you use the software provided with your drive, burn at the lowest possible speed and don't run other applications while burning. After you've got a set-up that works reliably, you can always change things to make it work faster or better for you.

A comparison of burning software can be found at http://www.burnworld.com/software/cdrburning/page1.htm If you don't want to spent time reading this, they recommend Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 for Windows and Nero Linux 3 for Linux (they don't "do" Apple).

Good luck - and I hope you're all respecting the copyrights of those artists you love to hear :)