PDA

View Full Version : Reddish color on the floor

philosophicaldreamer
02-07-2007, 02:45 PM
I need some words of wisdom from you before I take my car to the stealership. I just looked on the floor of my garage and on the passenger side I found quite a big puddle of reddish liquid. The passenger side of the car's undercarriage seems to be covered with this liquid, too. I cannot see where it is leaking from. I am assuming that it is the transmission oil. Am I correct? Any ideas where it is coming from? I will appreciate any input.

Thank you.
Ta-ta, j.

Steely
02-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Sounds like the top hose from the power steering pump to the reservoir. Check the area where the hose is clamped at the tank. Wet?

The hoses get spongy after a few years (mine was 6 years old). Dealer item, around $85.00. Fill to the mark with 3309 tranny fluid.

:cool:

JRL
02-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Sounds like the top hose from the power steering pump to the reservoir. Check the area where the hose is clamped at the tank. Wet?

The hoses get spongy after a few years (mine was 6 years old). Dealer item, around $85.00. Fill to the mark with 3309 tranny fluid.

:cool:
PS fluid is NOT 3309 tranny fluid (IF the leak is PS fluid)

volvoshad
02-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Volvo power steering fluid is light green in color, not red. You would expect PS fluid on the passenger side, red ATF on the driver side, however. It is possible that someone replaced the original PS fluid with ATF. Before driving to the dealer, check your fluid levels.:eek:

Phrog
02-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Yet another possibility is antifreeze...there are red antifreezes
out there, and perhaps someone at some point used one in
your car.

This puzzle would be easily solved by checking fluids. Which
one is both red and in need of a top-up?

-Phrog

philosophicaldreamer
02-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys for your input. I'll check tomorrow which fluid is missing. I know that it is not antifreeze leaking because mine antifreeze is green. I am almost certain that it must be PS fluid if it were not for the fact that it is red instead of green.

Thank you again.
Ta-ta, j.

Davolvo
02-08-2007, 07:45 AM
From the limited info given, I'll take a wild guess. Your leaking tranny fluid from the passenger front wheel drive shaft where if comes out from above the transfer case. Crawl under your car with a flash light and study the area. It will help to clean everything good, then re-check later in the day. Also place some cardboard under the anticipated leak area.

Good Luck

philosophicaldreamer
02-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Thank you guys for you input. As some of you haved suggested, it was the power steering reservoir that was giving up the ghost. The reservoir was leaking where both pieces connected together. Had to get a new reservoir. It least now I have fresh steering fluid. I usually don't change it.

Thank you again for all your help.
Ta-ta, janusz

JRL
02-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys for your input. I'll check tomorrow which fluid is missing. I know that it is not antifreeze leaking because mine antifreeze is green. I am almost certain that it must be PS fluid if it were not for the fact that it is red instead of green.

Thank you again.
Ta-ta, j.
It's transmission fluid, nothing else is red

philosophicaldreamer
02-09-2007, 05:34 AM
It's transmission fluid, nothing else is red

JRL:

Thanks for your suggestion. I will take the car to the dealer today to make sure that the transmission is not leaking. However, after the PS reservoir got replaced, the car is no longer leaking. Hence, I am hopeful.

Thank you again.
Ta-ta, j.

skibo
02-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Was the reservoir really leaking at the seam? I found mine leaking recently, but I assumed the upper hose was the root cause and the seam was just oily from the fluid running around the ledge. Maybe I need to take a closer look.

philosophicaldreamer
02-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Was the reservoir really leaking at the seam? I found mine leaking recently, but I assumed the upper hose was the root cause and the seam was just oily from the fluid running around the ledge. Maybe I need to take a closer look.

Yes, it was leaking at the seem. As matter of fact, the dealer told me they that see them quite often leaking like that so that I needed the new reservoir. They checked my transmission; it was O.K. The reservoir is $58.

Ta-ta, j.

mbsl98
02-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Bet you were smiling when you settled the problem with a $58. part :-)

philosophicaldreamer
02-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Bet you were smiling when you settled the problem with a $58. part :-)

"Indeed":D although my car still has warranty so that I was not that worried.

Ta-ta, j.