PDA

View Full Version : Strange Squeak From Blower?

clemstock
02-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Okay, hopefully someone can help me out with this one. With the onset of really cold temps here in Chicago, this problem has become more reproducible so I can better explain it. I've got a 2002 XC70. I am getting a squeaky noise from the passenger side dash area (it seems like it is coming from the area right behind the glove compartment). Anyway, it only happens when the heat is on and blowing and only when I am accelerating. If I turn the heat off, I get nothing. I'm assuming this is the blower motor for that side vent. Anyone confirm this? Also, if that is the case, how difficult is it to replace? Do I have to remove the entire dash? Thanks ahead of time for the assistance.

MoeB
02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Not sure what it is but the cabin filter is over there. I wonder if it's clogged and putting strain on the blower or some seal somewhere.

KCsXC
02-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I had the same problem with my 2002 V70XC. It is indeed the fan blower located under the glove box. I had one replaced under warranty and I am now looking into doing it again. I had asked the dealer the first time if it was a big job and he said no, less than half an hour. So I decided to check it out and sure enough if you go under the glove box like you were to change the cabin filter you can access the fan blower. There looks to be only three bolts and an electrical plug. I thought it should be easy to pull it out and take it apart to see if there was a bearing or bushing that could be replaced however the casing is solid with no way to split it apart other than to possibly break it. Once the weather turns more favorable out here I plan on removing it and look into possibly drilling a small hole through the casing near the shaft and giving it a shot of some dry lubricant to see if that helps before I go and buy a new one at the dealer. Once spring arrives I will repost and let everyone know if it was a success or failure at my expense.

KC

JAGMAN
02-06-2007, 07:00 AM
My R has the same squeak, or chirping. It occurs on decelerating downhill situations. When I turn the blower off the sound stops. I am going to wait for it to get worse and then I will change it. It happens very infrequently. Maybe there is a way to lube the fan bearing and make it last a little bit longer. I will look into it.

clemstock
02-06-2007, 08:02 AM
I would agree with Jagman that it could also be considered a chirp. Let me know how it goes with the lube and bearings. I did a quick search and it seems like a new blower motor is going to cost somewhere between 150 and 200. If it is something I could fix with a drill and some lube I would much rather do that.

02-08-2007, 06:08 AM
i have an 03 and it has been having this sound off and on for the last 2 months. now that it's cold here in the NE, it has gotten a lot worse. it seems go go away when i press the gas but then comes back after accelleration. same deal, if i turn the fan off it stops.

i called the dealer for service next week on it (i have a certified car so it should be under warrenty)

JAGMAN
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I took my fan out yesterday and lubed it. the squeak/chirp is gone. Though this may not be a permanent fix, I bet it will significantly prolong the life of the existing unit.

Procedure:
1) Remove the kick panels that reveal the cabin filter and blower motor. (one runs along side the center tunnel, the other is below the glove box)
2) Remove the kick panel on the passenger door sill. Just pull up at the center to release it. Be gentle.
3) Remove the glove box (10 torx screws). The bottom two are accessed by opening the glove box beyone the limiting stops (need to bend the small plastic tabs to do this).
4) fold back the carpet a foot or so from the firewall.
5) remove drain hose connected to the blower. Then the 5 torx screws that secure the blower to the assembly (I used a torx socket bit with a swivel). Remove the blower.

Once you have the blower out check it for squeaks and smoothness. Mine had no noise or play in the bearing, but I lubed it anyway. I sprayed some Bo-Shield (which is a waterproof lube that isn't oily and won't attact dirt). To lube it I sprayed the lube into the drain hole to coat the bottom bearing. I figured that if water can go in there lube won't hurt.

Then I drilled a small 1-2mm hole in the white fan part of the blower as close to the shaft as I could. (I tried to remove the fan but couldn't get it off and I didn't want to break it). I sprayed the lube into the small hole and was able to coat the upper bearing surface (though I couldn't see what I was doing). Then I put a small dab of silicone sealant to plug the hole I drilled. Spun it and reinstalled it. So far so good.

A couple of things to consider. As you can see the blower is designed to operate with some moisture present (thus the drain tube). So the assembly is water-proofed (though poorly). The design of the fan is such that the center section (where the shaft goes through) is designed as a sort of "umbrella" to keep moisture out of the motor. That is why I made sure to plug the small hole I drilled to maintain the water proofness of the whole thing.

The whole thing is pretty straight forward and easy to do. I chose to drill the hole rather than force the removal of the fan from the motor and risk breaking it. Didn't take any pics, sorry. I am a bad person.

OBTW: I tightened every nut, bolt and torx screw I could see under the dash and noticed a decrease in noises when hitting big bumps.

ChicagoXC
08-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I think the question referenced chirps in the fan area WHILE ACCELERATION, but the replies seem to talk about a 'different' chirp.

For those of you with a constant chirp, I think a new fan is the order of the day unless you can figure a way to lube the bearing.
However, my fan is like the original post.. it only chirps while I accelerate.

If I leave the fan on 3 LEDs, it's quiet at the stop light... as I accelerate, I get a chirp.. chirp.. chirp.. until I let go of the gas pedal..

Any ideas???

PierreC
08-03-2008, 12:14 AM
I have had this "problem" on my 850 and currently on the S60 - not yet on the XC. There is actually a "lube hole" on the housing to put oil into the fan bush and - quite frankly - a cheap syringe and a few milliliters of full synthetic oil once every two years or so is not a cause for concern.

What is, though, is that it is not a standard part of the maintenance schedule.

I will try do do photos when I do the S60, anthough the description posted in this thread by JAGMAN is fine. I also took out the fan on the 850 the foirst time - now, having discovered the lube hole (covered by a screw) it is a 10 minute job.

gt4rally
09-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for that write up Jagman.
My '01 XC chirps 50% of the time no matter what the speed setting, and it's getting quite anoying.

Get this... to replace the fan, my dealer quoted me almost $800 with labor!!!
What a joke!