PDA

View Full Version : Rear Position Drivers Side Light???

XC70Bluepenna
02-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I Am A New Xc 70 Owner And The Position Light Has Gone Out, As The Message Center Keeps Reminding Me. I Cannot Seem To Find This Bulb As I Just Put A New Parking Light In Where Is It And What Part Number Is It?

v70+xc70
02-03-2007, 04:46 PM
turn ignition on and walk to the rear of the car. Its just above half way from the top and is a pia to replace

mtndave
02-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Our '03 did the same thing, and this site has numerous posts on this topic. I followed the advice of one owner who suggested that if the rear lens was rapped with a knuckle, the light would come back on-it worked, and the message light went off. However, as soon as I hit a bump in the road, it stopped working again.

I talked with a service manager at two different Volvo dealers before taking matters into my own hands. One said that it may require a new tailight assembly, and the other said that they replace the socket when this happens.

I removed the light socket, took out the bulb, cleaned the contacts on the socket with a pencil eraser, and gently bent the contacts to make a more secure connection (they are fragile-be careful!). I installed a new bulb
($2.00), re-inserted the socket, and it has worked perfectly for the past 5K miles.

The socket has an extended back that is not difficult to manipulate, but it is difficult to figure out which socket is the right one.

Hope this helps!

Lightrail
02-03-2007, 05:58 PM
My 2003 XC70 has the same problem with the position lights in the rear. They periodically go out. If I tap on the lens cover, the lamp comes back on.

My 2000 V70 had a recall on "turn signal bulbs and sockets." The 2003 XC70 has no recall items, so far.